Thinking of buying this 1981...do you think it's a good deal?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been on the forum for about 3 months and I'm very impressed with the collective knowledge of the members.

I hope to tap into that knowledge and ask for your opinion on this 1981 xs 650 that I am considering to buy. It would be for a restoration, something to tinker with since I don't have the experience or time for a custom build (maybe some day):)

Would you buy it, any watch outs?

1981 xs 650 / 6,600 original miles / one owner / all stock except bars I think.

Thanks!!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 326
I need to figure out how to load multiple pics into a thread:doh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 288
The bike looks original and in great shape in the photos. Only you can decide if it's worth the asking price. It's a nice one, for sure.

Very clean - looks like its too 'young' to be restored! What's the asking price?

Oops I left the most important piece of info out, and the main reason I'm seeking some feedback. So the asking price is $3,400. Seems on the high side for a xs 650, but then again it is "a young one" :shrug:

Last edited:
Oops I left the most important piece of info out, and the main reason I'm seeking some feedback. So the asking price is $3,400. Seems on the high side for a xs 650, but then again it is "a young one" :shrug:

That's alot of ca$h for an '81, no matter how nice. JMO.

Is it worth it to you? That's all that matters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 229
We all do what we want but I stop listening at around $1500 period.
Yes I realize the money and time some put into these.

look at the headers on the 79 and compare them with the 81. Original headers on Specials are double walled and the outer chrome should never be discolored from heat. Heat is escaping from the inner pipe to the outer somehow, could be a rusted inner???

The carbs need tuning, one is running rich and the other could be lean. Running to rich will wash the bore, and to lean will hole a piston. Not saying it has done either of those things yet, depends on how long it has been running this way to what, if any, damage has been done.

79 has points and the 81 is factory electronic ignition. A pamco ignition and e-advance is $56.00 cheaper to do on the 79 compared to the 81. Chances are the 79 ignition system would be ok, even with a bike like the 79 it would pay to go through the whole electrical system and clean all connections, Bullet and couplings, and protect it with an electrical grease.

Check out the ID thread, stickied in the garage. The lnk to the album has information on the differences between models, still mainly on the Specials, but slowly getting around to the other models.

Personally for me i prefer the 78/79 Specials to the later ones. 78/79 haven't changed over to the plastics and it still retains a semblance to the Standards, especially just by lowering the handle bars.

Hi JayR,
photos look OK but some quibbles.
The exhaust pipe oxidation sez it's either got a single-wall aftermarket exhaust system and is tuned just about right or it's got the stock double wall exhaust system that's either burned out inside or it's running way too hot.
Check the date patch on the tires, if they are more than 6 years old they are scrap even if they look new.
Resale price? the older the year, the more they will fetch.
OTOH, the newer the year, the better they run.
Mind you, it does look really nice. Offer him $2700, don't go higher than $3,000.

The exhaust pipe oxidation sez it's either got a single-wall aftermarket exhaust system and is tuned just about right or it's got the stock double wall exhaust system that's either burned out inside or it's running way too hot.

Never seen after market headers made that shape. How can it be tuned just right with one blue header and one yellow header???????????

Never seen after market headers made that shape. How can it be tuned just right with one blue header and one yellow header???????????

Hi Skull,
both pipes are oxidized mauve/blue/tan/straw, the left side is a closeup so the colours show better and yeah, the oxidization goes further around on that side too.
I said just about right, I never said it was perfect.

Seriously guys!

full

Blue pipe, Yellow pipe on the other side and the shape is for a Special, 78-83, and mikes doesn't sell any thing like these.

full

Yellow pipe, not blue. Again the Special headers from a 78-83 and mikes doesn't sell these.

If they are aftermarket headers where is the clamp?
Do you see something that might account for the bluing?
OK as usual I'm being a little vague.
For the sake of the OP.
If the floats are adjusted wrong or sticking open it would cause a rich mixture running.
At rest that is about where I would expect to find the fuel stain on the case from gas leaking out the air boxes.
A petcock or carb leak would be closer to the head and wouldn't travel UP the flared part of the case.
Donuts to dollars if you pulled the old plugs the left would be gray and the right black.
+++++ Disclaimer +++++++
While I'd rather teach you to fish than feed you. I am wrong at LEAST a dozen times a day.

Attachments

• no clamp and fuel stain.jpg
    no clamp and fuel stain.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 245
For the asking prices, I'd go for the '79 with the 2650 miles.....just broke in AND you'll like the seat better. Chuck them bars, get a Pamco or learn to deal with the points and you're good to go.

Texas is a long way from Connecticut. tim

What are you other alternatives, JayR? Wait for a better deal or find a fixer-upper. I'm going to have near 3k in my basket case rebuild before I'm thru . . .
full

(Not counting my time!)

That's alot of ca$h for an '81, no matter how nice. JMO.

Is it worth it to you? That's all that matters.

We all do what we want but I stop listening at around $1500 period.
Yes I realize the money and time some put into these.

Thanks weekend rider I like that price point too! :bike:For some reason it's hard to find a running bike for around that amount in the CT / NY area. Maybe more will pop up this spring?

Back