"Thor's Hammer" Australian XS650 Bobber Build

nice macro, cool tank,your opossum looks much different that our opossums here in usa.I want to hear some thunder from down under. when do you expect to get the hammer finished?

Very nice looking project. Who put the bike in the truck, Boris The Spider??
I like the tank, nice to see something other than a sporty
More pics as you go.

Thanks gents! I'll make sure that I'll keep the updates flowing.

Very nice looking project. Who put the bike in the truck, Boris The Spider??
I like the tank, nice to see something other than a sporty
More pics as you go.

Yeah, I kind of did get carried away with the tie downs! :D

As much as I dig the sporty on an XS bobber, I felt that the teardrop shaped Bantam tank organically flowed with the seat and fender as per the side profile.

6206715425_162dd2cdd8_b.jpg

_DSC0179 b by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

Nice, have you done the motor yet...???

I'm saving the engine, gearbox and carb build till the very end. I'm doing the tear down/inspection and build myself with some mentoring from a friend that is an experienced XS650 owner. He's rebuilt quite a few already, and is willing to donate his time and tools to getting the motor rebuilt. Hopefully upon inspection it won't be too much of a mess allowing me to keep the shopping list shorter.

I do already have one of Hugh's PMA deluxe kits and a Pamco ignition ready to rock and roll though.

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Saturday, 8 October 2011 "Royal replacement"

To my pleasant surprise, Royal Spares were very helpful in getting me a new tool bag sent out to me last week, in the colour that was originally requested. It only cost me the delivery charge, whilst they were happy for me to keep the red-brown coloured version as well.

It actually matches the Rich Phillips seat perfectly!

6222496636_3d1434b7e9_b.jpg

DSC_0496 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
mmmmh... shouldn't a Japanese motorcycle be named after a Japanese thunder god?
Raijin or Raiden doesn't have a hammer tho' uses a drum to create thunder.

May be able to treat it, depending on what has been used to seal it already.

Doubt you will be able to tool it now. You have to have the leather flat to tool and tooling also stretches the leather so you cut it to the pattern size after tooling it. Tooling is also done to wet leather and you need to pretty much do it it the one "wetting"

Black is back! - Friday, 28 October 2011

Tonight I had the opportunity to piece together the rear and front hubs after getting them back from powder-coating.

My rims will be back early next week, which will allow me to start stringing them together. I plan on visiting a pro for the rim truing and tyre mounting.

Didn't turn out too badly!

6288081839_4feb794811_b.jpg

DSC_0555

6288084149_56f0b6f93a_b.jpg

DSC_0557

6288086169_0554740741_b.jpg

DSC_0558

6288088101_60d35822c7_b.jpg

DSC_0559

My triple trees were also powder coated gloss black too.

6288090609_d415490e7e_b.jpg

DSC_0576

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, you should check out some solid aluminum riser bushings for your triple trees....that upgrade improves the feel of the bars SO much.

Lookin good man!

Great thread, nice pictures and the bikes looking fantastic! I really dig the milk can. What caught my attention was the name, Thor's Hammer's name is "Mjölnir"
(pronounced Mole-near) and translates as "The Crusher"... (cool name indeed)
Gotta respect Norse mythology, hell he even has a day of the week named after him
Thursday (Thor's day). Keep up the great work!!!

Steve, you should check out some solid aluminum riser bushings for your triple trees....that upgrade improves the feel of the bars SO much.

Lookin good man!

Thanks for the kind words blackbetty!

I was asked the very same question on chopcult as well, and it seems that Hugh's riser bushes are a no brainer.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a pair when I first ordered my permanent magnet charging system from him, however, I have a mate (owned XS650s in the past) advise me to give the rubber ones a try at first considering the hard grips that I'm using. He suggested my hands will be pretty numb even with the brand new stock stock bushes.

Here's a pic of the Posh Gum grips that I have.

[/url] 114

If the steering is way to mushy for my liking, I won't hesitate to grab a pair. At least it's a quick and easy upgrade.

Is there a noticeable increase in vibration through the bars, and if so, is the improvement in steering worth any possible numbness I might experience?

Great thread, nice pictures and the bikes looking fantastic! I really dig the milk can. What caught my attention was the name, Thor's Hammer's name is "Mjölnir"
(pronounced Mole-near) and translates as "The Crusher"... (cool name indeed)
Gotta respect Norse mythology, hell he even has a day of the week named after him
Thursday (Thor's day). Keep up the great work!!!

I'm glad you dig the milk jug and the build thus far Ironhead. Much appreciated!

I think with the close to 15-20 odd kilos that I'm packing, "The Crusher" is an appropriate name! Those poor seat springs won't stand a chance! :laugh:

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• 6199813465_ff3b20cc03.jpg
    6199813465_ff3b20cc03.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
After some feedback from Hooligan on 33 and blackbetty in a previous post, I took the plunge and ordered Hugh's solid riser bushes already.

It literally took Hugh and I only 10mins via fb to do a deal and get them underway!

I plan on getting them black nickel plated along with some other parts.

Thanks for the advice Hooligan & blackbetty, and special thanks for yet another example of your great service Hugh!

Cheers

Steve

Subscribed Steve, looking great

I'm interested to see how go getting rego on the hardtail in NSW, do you have an Engineer on board?
cheers

Subscribed Steve, looking great

I'm interested to see how go getting rego on the hardtail in NSW, do you have an Engineer on board?
cheers

G'day rude.

Before I answer your question, I've just got to say that your bike is absolutely stunning! I really really dig it!

Thanks for the great feedback on my build.

In terms of engineering, it has been an eye opener. I would be very open to suggestions from anyone in the Sydney region that can recommend a no bullshit, bike friendly engineer.

Common sense tells you not to even start on a build until an engineer is sorted, however, after having spoken to a couple I realised how disparate their pricing and information is. If I waited until I'd found someone, the goal posts would move a mile anyhow, so I took a punt and made a start.

You know what they say about crossing bridges.

I had pricing from one guy that sounded pissed off that I was interested in trying to spend money on his services. He kind of inferred, yet could not guarantee, that it might be somewhere in the vicinity of $650 for certification. However, when I tried to lock him down on exactly what I would get for his services, it was clear he was setting me up for an inflated $ visit.

It got worse when I called another engineer that was adamant that a hard-tail mod constituted an ICV, and that his ballpark figure was $6000 - $8000 to cover his certification! Needless to say I won't be seeing him.

The fact remains there are enough hard-tail modified bikes hitting the streets in NSW to indicate that there is an engineer out there who will be happy to work with me. I've just got to find him!

Cheers

Steve

I've kept mine stock except for loosing the rear frame hoop, I'm going the club rego route with the 650 and no problems.
There are ADR's (Australian design rules) for "hand made bikes", I'll have a look tomorrow, but as soon as you put heat on a frame they will want it Engineered, prove me wrong but that's my finding. I envy the bobbers the guys build over the pond, that's art:thumbsup:
I don't know any Engineers personally but I think you need a hot rod builder who has excellent welding skills with a relationship with an Engineer, who has a knowledge of the RTA and how they work.
I investigated a few years ago and that was the plan of action, was heading to Rod Hadfield at Castlemain Rod Shop, he had a registered V12 Merlin in a 57 Chev
http://www.the-rumbler.com/sydney2k3-1.html
don't know if he's still building stuff
As for the hardtails around, are they legal? Let me know cause I want to build one :smoke:
cheers
might post the link in the lounge, sure the yanks (can I say that?) would like it even though it was 2003

Back