thoughts on dent removal?

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg

Is it possible to remove this dent without damaging the paint? This is the only dent. It is otherwise a nice tank. I like the patina, and want to keep it as is, if possible.

Saw that on fleabay, what this morning?
We're going to have to rename you rocketbunny!
Was thinking about exactly the same thing, how to lessen the dent without losing the cool patina paint.
There is a supposed to be a paintless dent removal wizard out in Sillyfornia that has done wonders with fuel tanks. But prolly not in your or my budget.
I've actually thought of several possible new technologies to do this. So far they remain pipe dreams.
I've got a small collection of tanks needing similar love.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I would rather not pay a lot. It would be another matter if it was a tank with flawless original paint. That would be worth throwing money at.

It is my understanding that the steel of these tanks is too thick for your typical paintless dent repair. Not like modern thin-skinned cars that paintless dent repair works well on.

But yeah, wondering about new technologies. Like glue on, or even suction-cup stems to pull on.

Yeah, I thought of making something to push the dent out from the inside, but I was thinking more of massaging rather than pounding. If I could get the bulk of it out, I could probably live with lingering crease marks.

It is my understanding that the steel of these tanks is too thick for your typical paintless dent repair.
Yes, you took the words right out of my mouth, as Meatloaf said.

A paintless dent remover guy might charge you about $100. I've had one over to my house to remove a dent from my Altima. We talked about bike tanks. They will work on some tank dents.

I’ve use a cheap HF dent puller before with some success. Utilizes hot glue. The metal is thick as previously mentioned. Mine was also a 75 tank I picked up cheap. I was able to pull the dent out enough for it to be livable for me. The paint was not affected at all. My dent was farther up and down low on the right side. That dent looks to be more centered in the side panel which may make it easier to pull.

The crease is what`s holding the dent inward. A hot glue puller would work on this dent as long as the "Roll" of the crease is worked flat as you pull the dent out. a flat body hammer and a paint paddle is the old school method.

I bought a TV promoted (Billy Mays?) dent remover, years ago, called the "Ding King". It uses the hot glue method, with a bridge type puller. It works a lot better than I would have thought, but the quality of the glue makes a big difference. The stuff you get in the five and dime is pretty weak stuff, get the industrial stuff. I pulled a big dent out of the nose on my sidecar this winter with it. It had a crease, so it took about ten applications before I was happy with it.
JD

image_25590.jpg

This is the crossbar dent repair kit from Harbor Freight. Have some of you had success pulling dents from a Yamaha XS tank with this? Or, is it a waste of time and money. I was going to send tanks to Georgia for repair, but if this will pull that metal, so much the better. I'm not really too concerned about the paint.

Back