throttle cable/ cables

dr mac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok I need to buy some new throttle cable's . What is the best brand / make and where to get them .

oh for a 73 tx , 75 xs, 78 xs,
I see so many of ebay . Then mikes then , etc...

thanks in advance

Most any throttle cable will be ok. The throttle cable doesn't have to work as hard as the clutch cable. If I was to reccomend a brand I would say Motion Pro. I have one of there clutch cables, very satified with it.
Just keep them lubed.
On the stock carbs for the 73 and 75, you need two cables, each carb has it's own cable. The 78 uses a linked set of carbs and you need just one cable.
If you use a 76 or later set of carbs on the 73 and 75 then a single cable will be right.

I have a 1974 TX I have removed the stock bars for drag bars, The stock cables are way to long I can't seem to find out what cables will be the right length (about 40") Will stock cables work from a different year when the stock bars had way less rise work.
thanks
pete

Last edited:
The only different length cable made by the factory for the 650 was the clutch cable used on the Special model because of it's buckhorn bars. It is slightly longer than the Standard version so not what you're looking for. The original cables can be made to work with some creative re-routing. With my Euro bars, I needed to route the throttle and clutch cables down the opposite sides of the steering neck from where they were originally .....

CableRouting.jpg

The only different length cable made by the factory for the 650 was the clutch cable used on the Special model because of it's buckhorn bars. It is slightly longer than the Standard version so not what you're looking for. The original cables can be made to work with some creative re-routing. With my Euro bars, I needed to route the throttle and clutch cables down the opposite sides of the steering neck from where they were originally .....

CableRouting.jpg
i have clubman bars turned up and have my cables crossed like your, 5twins.

Yes, just use the standard cables, that's all that's available off the shelf. Your only other option would be making your own but that's a bit beyond what most of us are capable of. You can get different length brake lines, though. Try 650Central. He offers several different length braided S.S. lines for use with different bars.

Back