"Thug Life"....My Build

Spades

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My Build...."Capone"

Formerly "Thug Life"......I renamed the bike.....meet "Capone".

I want something low and long...aggressive looking with attitude. It has to have the right stance....thats were it all starts. Black...with just the right amount of color and polished parts. Pamco/PMA combo to keep things reliable. It may not appeal to everyone, but it's mine. It will only have a rear drum brake....so get over it. I still have a long way to go, but it will worth it.

I'd like to thank Jon Ard @ Ardcore Choppers and Dan Patterson at Angry Monkey Motorcycles for their help, knowledge, advice, and parts.

Mid December 2011 - I picked up this non running '78 Special for $400. It's not pretty, but 90% complete.:wtf:

9bf7e40b.jpg

Last edited:
The teardown begins!! After getting it home, I immediately put it on the lift and started peeling it down. My goal was to get rid of stock wiring and get the motor out. I then took it to the local carwash and blasted the hell out of it. Years of nasty road grime and chainlube disappeared down the drain. It's amazing what a little degreaser and a high pressure blast can do to clean it up.

6b76a3f9.jpg

8c29df73.jpg

a66cfd47.jpg

Next, it was time to hardtail it. I looked into several options, but it only took one visit to Ardcore to make my decision. Jon had his new DIY hardtail prototype sitting in his shop. It had the look I wanted...4" stretch and a 2" drop seat. The quality was obvious, but Jon's friendly attitude and knowledge is what sold me. Jon and Carl both stopped what they were working on and talked to me for over an hour. They answered every question I ask them and took time to explain it. Jon explained that the kit wasn't on the market yet, but would be shortly. He explained that he wanted to come up with detailed directions and pics before releasing it. I offered up my frame for his pics and directions.....thankfully he accepted the offer and did the hardtail for me. I can weld....but NOT like him! It turned out great.

BEFORE:

ca5b1e1e.jpg

AFTER:

c08b5064.jpg

766dddb5.jpg

d11867fd.jpg

After getting the frame home, I started cutting off tabs and brackets that were not going to be used. I decided to eliminate the stock neck gussetts.

b20f52b5.jpg

29a13eab.jpg

looks like fun! your thread reads like it is narrated by the guys at OCC. Not a bad thing, just something I noticed, maybe it is just in my head.

Next, I contacted Dan Patterson @ Angry Monkey Motorcycles. The style of his British built motorcycles really appeal to me. Not only was Dan willing to answer all my questions, he also sold me a Cole Foster tank. I had been searching for that tank for two months, but couldn't locate one. I also bought a pair of rear fender struts that he makes. When the package was delivered there was a T shirt and stickers included. Dan is another very talented builder and is an inspiration to this build. I managed to get a used 21" 40 spoke wheel locally and Jon had a 16" 36 spoke drum wheel that I wanted to use. Wheels went to powdercoat as my new Avon Venom tires arrived. I'm running a 120/70-21 up front and a MT90-16 in the rear. The brake was overhauled and tires were mounted.

5580ebc2.jpg

Last edited:
I had to wait over a week, but eventually my new 4" under black DNA Springer arrived. I couldn't decide between a 2 or 4 under...I could have really went either way. I figured the 4 under would be closer to the look I was going for. After seeing it on the bike, I'm glad I went with my gut.

825e6501.jpg

Well, here is where I'm at currently. The tank is just sitting there for mock up. I'm happy with the direction it's going. Hopefully, I will have an update and more progress pics soon.

c4f6f00a.jpg

a3c2b8a0.jpg

just to be clear, I wasn't saying your bike is like a fugly OCC billet abortion, but if you read what you wrote using one of the pauls voice, it is pretty funny. Love the cole foster tank!

just to be clear, I wasn't saying your bike is like a fugly OCC billet abortion, but if you read what you wrote using one of the pauls voice, it is pretty funny. Love the cole foster tank!

No problem man. Thanks!

Back