tight bronze bushings

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys joe here i just finished installing my bronze bushing kit in my xs2 everything went well other then a bit of time spent knocking those pesky plastic ones out .anyways there in i bought a new inner shaft too and when i just put it in it goes just nicely with little drag at both ends but when i put it in the swing arm from one end to other the last 1/4 in ch shows some resistence u can turn it by hane but not easy .should i be concerned or will be ok once it pinched in swing arm just kinda wondering thanks for all ur help in the past posts joe

It's okay, especially since you can turn it by hand a little bit. Being bronze, it'll wear looser rather than get in a bind.

oncw again i thank u all for ur quick responce.i kinda figured that when its all together the wieght and leverage of the arm would probly pivot it ok but what boggels my mins is the fact if i insert the shaft from the left side to the proper depth of the bushing it turns nicely then if i do the same onthe right side its the same just a nice light drag but when i go all the way through i have to slightly tap it in the 1/8 not hard just lightly its as if its out of alignment slightly hmm maybe iam overthinking things have anyone of u that installed them had the problem i even cleaned up the old shaft which is in very good shape and it does the same thing and one other thing i noticed my bike had only one shim in it and the clymer manual says to disgard that shim kinda confused here i will see if i get anymore feed back its winter here so no rush but tons of thanks to u who have helped joe

maybe iam overthinking things have anyone of u that installed them had the problem

It'll be fine as is, and snug is much, much better than loose. To give you something to chew on, after I got my bushings in I found the sleeve wouldn't fit through at all. So I put a little brake hone on a drill and honed the bushings out so that the sleeve would barely go though - probably about like yours fits now. 20,000 miles and halfway across the country later, it's still working fine and is the least of my worries :)

thanks i am glad to hear that mine wasnt to tha point of needing a hone just a ever so slight tap in it goes just has a little resistance k i guess i will leave it alone thanks again

Back