Timing on a post 80'

Pandorasglocks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got my pamco/green monster all set up the other day, got it all timed but after trying to verify I did it right, I can't find any information on it :eek: My bike had a TCI before the pamco and the timing marks on the alternator look like these:

When I first started the bike after install marks were right around the TDC mark and the bike was runnin kinda rough. I then adjusted the idle to the F mark (orange line on the picture) and now it runs great. Did I do this correctly? I'm just kinda paranoid and don't wanna ride around with some preignition :shrug:

I think you got it. I don't think there is an F mark on the '80+ stators, just the range you should be in at idle. If I remember correctly full advance is 40 degrees which would not be on that little plate.

Thats where you set the idle timing at. Some where between the legs of the U shaped mark.
If you look where the alternator cover goes on, at the bottom of the opening is a notch. Full advance is to the left side of this notch.
With a timing light, shoot the timing marks. Now as you rev the engine up the rotor mark will start to move to the left. Toward the notch.
It should move left and line up with the left side of the notch at about 3200 rpm.
The exact rpm isn't as important as how far the timing mark moves. It should move TO the full advance mark not PAST the mark.
If it goes past the mark readjust the timing at idle more to the right side of the u shaped mark. You can adjust the idle timing back to the right side leg of the U, or a bit farther. I have mine set about the width of the rotor mark to the right side of the right side line. The full advance comes right to the full advance mark, and no further.
Once you get the timing marks where they should be at idle and full advance. You can check the rpms at which the full advance occurs.
If it happens at 3200 rpm +or- 100 rpm it is close enough. If it happens more than a couple hundred rpms above or below you can adjust it by changing the tension on the advance springs.
If the advance comes on at to low an rpm, the springs are tight, You can carefully stretch them.
If the advance comes on at to high an rpm, the springs are loose. If loose you can shorten them by clipping off the loop on the end of one spring and bend up the next coil for a loop. If thats not enough you can do the other spring. Usaully clipping just one spring is enough.
Often Mike's springs are a bit loose.
Another thing, When you tighten the lock ring on the advance, don't be afraid to wack the punch a few good ones. I don't think you can strip the threads. You will mangle the notches first. You don't want that nut to come loose. Lock tight ain't a bad idea.

Idle timing on a '80 + note that the plate can be moved. If in doubt, align timing mark on rotor to the "T" mark with pistons at TDC.

timingmarks.jpg

Full advance at 3000+ RPM:

advance1.jpg

Ok thanks for the responses guys I'll go back and check it. Has anyone used a timing light with an advance such as http://www.harborfreight.com/timing-light-with-advance-40963.html . Do they work well?

The first time I did it that writing on the rotor in Pete's 2nd picture, looks like 301-70, was a little to the right of where it is in the picture so I shouldn't be too advanced.

XSleo, thanks for the advance advice I'll make sure it is advancing at the right rpms.

Also, my timing marks have no U mark, just a T with a line and then a scratched in mark and a F by one of the POs.

pandor...........,

Not sure how they would work on a 2 cylinder engine. I would suggest that you just get a simple timing light without the built in advance feature.

If you already have the advancer timing light, leave it set to zero. This way it will act like a regular light.

KK, I just borrowed my work's light the first time, it didn't have an advance. I'm gonna go to harbor freight this week and get their cheapo one without an advance. Thanks guys!

Ok thanks for the responses guys I'll go back and check it. Has anyone used a timing light with an advance such as http://www.harborfreight.com/timing-light-with-advance-40963.html . Do they work well?

The first time I did it that writing on the rotor in Pete's 2nd picture, looks like 301-70, was a little to the right of where it is in the picture so I shouldn't be too advanced.

XSleo, thanks for the advance advice I'll make sure it is advancing at the right rpms.

Also, my timing marks have no U mark, just a T with a line and then a scratched in mark and a F by one of the POs.

The timing mark is that little groove on the rotor marked in white, not the numbers on the rotor. Get some white out or white nail polish to mark the marks so they are easier to see with the timing light.

If you have some doubt about the correct timing mark for idle, just be sure that you do not exceed full advance as shown at 3,000 + RPM.

Back