Timing rod lube?

feliz

simpleton
Reaction score
My bike has been running crappy and something made me suspect the ignition!! I checked the timing and it wasn't moving, stuck on full retard so I pulled the rod and it was gummed up real bad.....cleaned it and all is well. I can't recall what I lubed it with, probably high temp grease but it is obviously the wrong thing. I was wondering what other do it yourself owners use? I think I recall not being able to get what was called for in the manual, anyone know of anything readily available. TIA

The shop manual calls for some sort of moly lube. I use VW CV joint grease because it has a high moly content.

i changed the gaskets behind the advance housing/points(pamco) housing last night and i used wheel bearing grease on the rod. should be good?

I suppose that will work. The important thing is to have some sort of lube in there. I've never seen it mentioned in any of the manuals but this is an area that needs occasional maintenance, like maybe every 5 years or so. The outer bushing on each end has grooves cut in it's I.D. If you fill those with grease, you will have a reservoir of lube for a long time. So, don't just smear grease on the rod, fill those bushing grooves as well.

If you have a '80 to '83 model with just the three brass bushings, as recommended to reduce the possibility of binding, then ordinary general purpose grease will work just fine, or even just some motor oil because the PAMCO rotor does not apply any lateral pressure on the rod or bushings. Some of the oil or grease will leak out, but not all of it, and, again, the PAMCO does not need much lubrication.

The test for a properly functioning advance rod for the PAMCO is shown in this video:

Back