1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Tire Choice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shipper, Sep 1, 2019.

1. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Thanks, Bob, I heard that too. It sounds like anybody's tire + rain groves = wiggly. :umm: Some are just worse than others. I'm open to suggestion. I've got plenty of time, since the last thing I'm buying is tires, and "The Basketcase" has a looooong way to go before it's road-ready. :shrug:

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Well actually , no, that’s what I was referring to about modern tread design. I’m running Michelin Pilot Active tires on my ‘77D and they are completely unfazed by rain grooves.
    7CAD07F8-B811-4E0F-B11B-1B65B1AEE2AB.jpeg

Forum member GLJ is running Continental Go tires and he swears by them.
    2272F636-CD90-43EE-98DF-D8E7C5114484.png

It’s something about the way modern tread designs are cut that makes them handle the rain grooves. It’s the ribbed designs that get squirrelly.

madmax-im, geedubya and gggGary like this.
  3. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    While we’re talking about squirrelly tires. Has anyone ridden over a steel bridge? Or steel grate? That’s some squirrelly stuff. Very scary until you get used to it.

4. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Cafephil and I rode 12 miles of deep, soft sand road, he was On a 1000 concours me on a BMW K1200LT My GPS took us there, the paved way around was about 80 miles. He'll never let me forget that. An eel wiggles less than us on that "road".

About half way through they had watered the sand made it a lot better, the foreground road is like what we rode the first half. It's a haul road for logging trucks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  5. Mailman

I can’t get the video to play. :unsure:

6. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Sorry bout that try now

Mailman likes this.
  7. aldo5468

aldo5468 Redleg XS650.com Supporter

Yup - did this 8 years ago going northbound across the Mackinac Bridge that links the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan on a trip around the north shore of Lake Superior. It's one long damn bridge; 45 mph limit in good weather; so had plenty of time to squirm. I was on an XV1100 Virago, it did pretty good.

Gator xs2, geedubya and gggGary like this.
  8. Mailman

Well if you had to get beat to death, at least it was pretty there! :laugh2:

gggGary likes this.
  9. geedubya

geedubya geedubya Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

G'day Tebo,

On my '76C I have Pirelli Route MT66 tyres. They are allegedly good on mileage and also grip.

I use Pirellis on my machines because they stick like shit on a shovel and when you need that stiction it is there.

Sure some of them wear out early but by Jesus they hang on when you need it.

GeeDubYa

gggGary and madmax-im like this.
  10. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Another example of rider skill pushing beyond a bike's design limitations...pucker factor must've been high ..12 miles...? I'm not following you...LOL

Mailman, Gator xs2 and gggGary like this.
  11. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

I made that mistake once in the UP. Took a "seasonal" road from one town to the next. 23 miles of sand. Woopde-dos and all. Would have been great fun on my KTM not so much On my R100RT. Worse than a road in WI that is called rustic.

Mailman, Gator xs2 and gggGary like this.
  12. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Gator,
    I was told of a great place for breakfast "just across the Mackinac Bridge"
    Crossing it combined my dislike of riding on steel grating with my morbid fear of heights
    into a terror tour,
    (You can see through that steel grating to see the gulls flying under it and tiny little lake boats on the water!)
    Yes, it was a great breakfast place.
    Alas that I had to cross the Mackinac Bridge again or take a 1,000 mile detour.

13. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    no dirt, just seems like i mean, what tiny increment could it possibly improve it for the effort
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality

14. aldo5468

aldo5468 Redleg XS650.com Supporter

At least you got across it safely, not like that poor lady in the Yugo that got blown over the side some years back.

Mailman and gggGary like this.