1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Tire pressure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scott s, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it

Thanks

2. delagem

delagem XS650 Addict

Standard advice from any tire guy at the race track. That'll get max grip. If you want longer tire life, you'll have to forego some of that grip, and raise the pressure a bit.

grizld1 likes this.
  3. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

Beware of bad readings, the pressure gauges available today are crap. I buy three at a time, check them against each other and the gauges I have on hand, and pitch the ones that don't agree with the consensus. For gauge inspection I use the valve on a 5 gallon air tank, since it doesn't take much air loss to change the pressure in a small tire significantly.

MaxPete likes this.
  4. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Even if your gauge is off a bit, as long as it reads the same every time is the important thing.
    If your gauge is off by a lb or two that's ok. Using the 10% method allows for that.
    I tried an electronic digital pressure gauge. Thinking that would be more precise. Checks pressure ten times such as grizld1 does and I get ten different readings. If it was off les than a lb it would bother me much but it was off 2or3 lbs.
    It works as a paper weight,
    Leo

gggGary likes this.