Tire Rec

MtnBoy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have a 1973 street legal tracker with Kendas, front and rear. Live in the mountains of NE GA. Upgrading brakes to Brembo and would like some performance tires. Running wire 19/18 inch wheels. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Cycleholic, I am in Tiger, just SW of Clayton. At present, I have 100/90 on the front and 140/70 on the rear. Need something sticky, not too concerned about mileage. Thanks, Bob

I did the same brembo upgrade with the 19mm radial m/c. Also have 19" in front and 18" in back. I ended up with Metzeler Lasertec and couldn't be happier. Super grippy and good in the wet. Even bought a set for the 250r. I did a 110/90 in the front and I think a 120/90 in the rear.

You could go with some of the more sport bike looking tires but why bother.

71-76 had 34mm forks. 77-84 was 35 mm forks. I have an 80 with 35mm. I dont have a mic at the house or I would check the exact measurement. Sound like you may have the newer forks on yours.

I've got 34's and they mic at ~33.9. My calipers aren't great so I omitted everything past the 10ths

Last edited:
Oh crap. sorry MtnBoy, I had a finger flub. I meant to say mine measure at ~33.9. Updated in the original post. Hope this didn't cause any problems on your end

Another way to tell is the brake caliper mounts. The 34 mm forks has a ctc of around 82 mm the 35 mm forks used caliper with a ctc of 112 mm.
Leo

OK, 35's it is. Skunk--No problemo. Just need to replace the 30ml I drained out of each fork:) The Brembo set up from Pandemonium Choppers is on the way along with some new pads and one of their sweet clutch levers. Probably need to add a new clutch cable as well. Thanks to all. Bob

MtnBoy, the Pandemonium install instructions for their adapter plate suggests that you shave or clip the corner of the brake pad in order to allow the pad to clearance the adapter plate. This means that every time you replace the brake pad you will need to re-do this process. I ended up taking a file and making a notch in the adapter plate right where the brake pad was hitting the adapter plate. That way there is no need for modifying the brake pad now or in the future. Just a suggestion..

Thanks for the tip Skunk. Could you send me a pic of the adapter plate mod. What is your overall opinion of the Pandemonium upgrade? Big difference in braking? With 34mm forks, you did not have to use the rotor spacer? Tomorrow is valves day. After a ride today, I checked the cam chain tensioner. Have a great weekend, Bob

I'll snap some pics later today of the adapter plate and get them posted here.

The plate that pandemonium makes is a nice, solid piece of metal. Don't know if I have an opinion about it one way or another though as it is just a piece of metal. If I had the correct tools, I would've just cut one myself. WIth the 34mm forks, I did not need the spacer. Everything lined up correctly. I ended up filing down part of the brake caliper per the instructions, but looking at finished, I doubt I really had to.

My braking before wasn't bad. I had an aftermarket 16mm m/c that felt great but I had pad rub/squeak and wanted the look of the brembo so I bought the matching calipers on ebay - used one on the XS and one on my ninja 250r. I got a brembo 19mm radial m/c off of aliexpress for $60 instead of the $200+ that they go for on ebay and I tell ya, braking is vastly improved.

Thanks Skunk, My brake stuff will arrive on the 7th:) I am repairing a leaking left petcock, draining the tank as we speak. Checked the valves yesterday. Everything is so easy to do on these bikes. Reminds me of the 356 Porsches we raced in the late 60's/early 70's. Bob

Sorry for the delay. Here is a pretty useless photo, but you can kinda see the filed part in the middle of the adapter plate.

plate_mod_zps4cf4e81f.jpg

Thanks Skunk. My right forefinger and thumb will never be the same after all the filing on the caliper. The guys at pandemonium did me right--looks like a brand new caliper. One of the newer ones with the large letters BREMBO. Will install the new master and bleed the system tomorrow. Will have the seal for the tach drive and new left side petcock Friday so Saturday will be fun. Bike will be back on the road Sunday:bike: Have you ever replaced the seal for the tach drive? How did you get the old seal out of the sleeve? Bob

Back