JaxShane650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS650G that is in need of a new set of tires.
Front tire - 100/90-19
Rear tire - 130/90-16
I was looking at 80% 20% dual sport tires, but there are not many options for 16 inch and 19 inch rims. Most of the other dual sport tires I was looking at were 60% 40% and I am just looking for tires that will be great on the road (as that is where most of my riding will be done) and good for the occasional back dirt road / gravel road so 60% 40% are out of the question. So if anyone knows of any good 80% 20% dual sport tires that will fit my bike please leave a post and let me know. After all this looking at tires though I've almost given up on the dual sport tires and just been looking at reasonably priced tires that handle well in the rain and ones that people here on the forum here have recommended.
Currently I have looked at Dunlop D404's which look pretty promising
Also looked at Shinko 230 Tour Master's which look alright
Basically I am pretty new to buying motorcycle tires and just looking for some good suggestions from you xs650 pros out there for tires that will fit my bike and fit my needs. Thanks for the read and I hope you can help!

I am using strictly Shinko Tour Master and Shinko 712 tires on all of my bikes. The Shinko tires run just a bit larger than other brands of the same size, haven't had a problem with that. I buy them from Chaparral on ebay, usually around $65 to $70 per tire with free shipping, I get them drop shipped from a Shinko warehouse about one hour away from me, sometimes next day delivery. My FedEx guy brings them right into the garage. Every tire that I've received has been 3 months or less from date of manufacture. I'm a happy guy with the tires, price and delivery. I think the Shinkos are very comparable to the Bridgestone Spitfires that I was using, had a rash of sidewall cracks with the Spitfires that were less than 2 years from manufacture.

Scott

Last edited:
Hi Jax,
yeah, if you can't find 80/20 dualsports for your XS650's 19" & 16" wheels go with street tires and ride careful on the dirt.
There is an alternative solution if your bike is the one with wire wheels shown in your avatar.
Look for 80/20 dualsport tires in other diameters and re-lace your wheel hubs into appropriately sized rims.

Jax,

I'm with Scott. Shinko 712's on three mid 70's Yamahas around here. I couldn't be happier with their performance in the wet or dry. They run smooth and quiet, provide great cornering and wear well. For the money they can't be beat. IMHO.

roy

Back