Tired of broken side cover latches? Cheap perminant fix here, with pics!

79xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Are you tired of your aftermarket side cover latches breaking? I am!

The reproduction latches from Mikes XS, really suck. The plastic that the black knob is made from is so soft that it cracks and falls off after only a thousand miles or so. OEM Yamaha latches are great, but getting harder to find. I'm tired of paying $14 + shipping for mew Mike's latches, knowing that they will fail in about 1,000 miles.

Here is my permanent fix! All you need is two old latches, with the knobs broken off, and one spring. Buy two 15mm split rings (like they use on key chains). I bought mine at a local craft store for $0.10 each! They are stainless steel, so they should not rust.

Here is the layout:
0730031853_zpsa08cef03.jpg

Drill a small hole through the end of the latch pin, on the end where the plastic knob used to be. Then put your new 15mm split ring through the hole:
0730031909_zpsd5831352.jpg

Next, cut ONE stock latch spring in half.

Assemble in this order (starting from end of pin with ring):
Spring keeper washer, 1/2 spring, washer, rubber grommet, washer, roll pin.

Sometimes its easier to install the rubber grommet on the side cover first, but either way here is the finished product:

0730032247_zpsca0dc217.jpg

I think it looks ok, not quite as nice as the plastic knob, but there is no way this is going to break, causing me to lose my spring, and possibly the side cover, while going down the road. Assuming that you still have your old broken latches, this will only cost you $0.20 too! That sure beats $28 from Mikes XS for a new set of latches that are sure to break on you.

Beats the heck out of the white plastic zip tie I'm using on mine right now. My son was riding it one afternoon and heard something hit the ground as he came up to a stop sign. He got off and looked, and the left side cover had fallen off. The latch was gone, and he couldn't find any of the parts. The side cover acquired some fresh "patina" as it slid on the road, but it wasn't dented and didn't get run over. Thanks for the heads-up on the MikesXS latch, I was going to buy one soon. I'll hit the junkyard this weekend to look for some original parts and try your solution. Thanks. :thumbsup:

One of the best things I ever bought for my bike was these sidecover knobs spun up from billet aluminium that use all the other original parts to assemble. I bought the plastic copies from Mikes as well and they both failed during assembly. These would be easy to make with a small lathe but I only paid $15 for the pair from ebay seller rabbitgreen1

Attachments

• DSCF3835.JPG
    DSCF3835.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 423
  • DSCF3837.JPG
    DSCF3837.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 350
One of the best things I ever bought for my bike was these sidecover knobs spun up from billet aluminium...I only paid $15 for the pair from ebay seller rabbitgreen1

He doesn't have any listed for sale on eBay right now, just some handlebar risers. I sent him a message through eBay last night asking if he still sells the knobs, but he has not replied yet. I'll post a message if he replies.

If he doesn't and anyone wants a set, I can strip one of mine and measure it up and post so you can have a local machine shop turn some up. They work great and look better than the originals I think.

Nice..............

Do you remember what Goldtooth did with his Special side covers? Some kind of similar thing but the details escape me. His bike that ran out of gas on the way to the trials.

Do you remember what Goldtooth did with his Special side covers? Some kind of similar thing but the details escape me. His bike that ran out of gas on the way to the trials.
I was not aware that his bike had re-done knobs. He has sold that bike. He has sort of become a partner at a long, long-standing iconic local Volkswagen garage, and is a mechanic there, working a very full week. He pretty much bailed the place out when the owner was about to get evicted. It's his first really real-world job he's ever had, imo. All the rest of his time he spends jet-sking. He's gone jet-ski crazy. I don't even know the last time he rode on two wheels.

I still like the original poster's solution best. No tools to operate knob, cheap and easy, and looks okay.

^Good for him. I remember the time you guys pulled up to the park you mentioned something about it, and I noticed a knob or something where the side cover peg had broken off. Maybe you were talking about something else.

I like this mod Easy to do and cheap. What's to complain about that?
Leo

I installed a bolt in the retainig hole with the threaded end facing out. Then I screwed on hardware store plastic knobs (they have threaded brass insert) with a stainless washer.

sidecover_zpsae7cd2db.jpg

I installed a bolt in the retainig hole with the threaded end facing out. Then I screwed on hardware store plastic knobs (they have threaded brass insert) with a stainless washer.

I like that. :thumbsup: No springs, and no cross-bolt studs to unseat and bind up and trap the cover.

The existing hole can be drilled/reemed out and then tapped for a standard bolt that will accept a threaded knob as in my above pic OR you can buy the knob with a threaded stud sticking out from it- then you would just screw the knob into the existing but re threaded mounting hole. Thats what I did on this big suzuki.

100_0795.jpg

Heres a pair if anyone is interested $25.00 free shipping. This is the price I paid with shipping. PM me if interested. Bruce

81513011_zpsd62488c4.jpg

SOLD THANK YOU!

Last edited:
I did something similar to Mharrington on one side of my Special. It uses the same hardware store knob except it's the version where the screw is made into the knob instead of the knob having threads for a bolt to go into.

All I did was put the knob screw through a hole in the cover where the peg used to be, and on the other side put a wing nut. The hole in the frame is larger than the wing nut, but the way it lines up, one of the wings hangs over the side of the hole, holding the cover on. I removed the rubber piece the peg used to stick into.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/member.php?u=7000

Back