Title or no title??

franklinshaw

What just happened??
Reaction score
I'm purchasing a '74 xs650 tomorrow morning! Is it true that bike doesn't have a title? Its only registered by a bill of sale?

No, that is not true. A motorcycle is a "motor vehicle" and requires the same documentation as a car. Purchasing any vehicle without a title is problematic and depending on what state you plan to register it in, may be much more trouble than it's worth. Go slowly here, you may be buying a bike that will only be a parts bike.

roy

I don't think Alabama titled motorcycles until after 1975. But I would check AL DMV to be sure.

in MOST cases, if a state does not require a title the bike has a TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION.....there's a place for seller and buyer to sign on the existing registration document. Once a bike transfers ownership, these days DMV's will process the transferable registration but then issue a title and current non-transferable reg for the bike. If the seller has neither a title nor a transferable registration, your last ditch effort would be to title/reg in vermont or another state that only requires a bill of sale to issue reg and a new title. (this is a loophole I have seen people use to get a title-less barn bike into their name)

Those states like Vermont have tightened up, usually the bike and VIN have to be seen by a state official and often sales tax is owed.

You need to check with the DMV where you plan to register the motorcycle. That is where you will get the answer you require. Do that before you hand over any money. Even then, you need to check the VIN.

I live in Georgia, where no XS650 requires a title. To register it, I need an affidavit signed by a local law enforcement officer that shows the VIN and that the vehicle is not stolen. The DMV gives me the form. If the Bill of Sale is not required, it helps the process. If I make the transaction, I may find it's a stolen vehicle, so there is risk involved.

So, go to the DMV and get the information before you buy.

Ive found that any vehicle older than 35 years does not require a title in the state of Alabama. But u will definitely call the dmv and give them the vin first. Good idea! Thank u for that. i will let u guys know wat happens regardless. Thank y'all again

Just get a Bonded Title.. Im sure most states may issue one to yeh. All they do is check the VIN to make sure there isn't a lein/stolen then pretty much throw you in the bonded title process..

I have said this before and do the right thing first run the numbers at your DMV. Alot of states have tightened up there way they deal with older titles or no title or MSO. NY/PA/NJ/DEL are getting to be the hardest to get bikes registered if they are over 30 years old. NJ gives you a hard time on the 9 number vin now because they decided to say they are too old and cannot be traced. NJ has a lost title APP and now i am on my 14 month of waiting for a title witch i will never get. MSO were easy to do now your bike could be held up for months impounded until they check it all. Companys like ITS (RIPOFF) and Broadway won't even deal in states like NY /NJ. I use to buy up all the untitled bikes and years ago get titles and resell them. Now a bike without a title is PARTS BIKE. Some bikes are going for alot more because of the title thing and if you think you are getting a deal with no title you may not. VERMONT has just changed there laws and that was a easy state to get a title if you new someone that lived there. Some cases you have to show the bike now. Conn has a registation title its on the back and the last one i had NJ would not take it without noterized bill of sale. So you got to do your homework or you got a over priced PARTS BIKE>>>

Texas has recently become a huge pain with bonded titles, leins, and lost title issues. It's best to know what the eventuality of your situation is before getting too involved. Title and registration status is almost more important than price, since it's a bag of crap if you can't take legal posession of it and put it on the road. If you are looking for a parts bike, then not such a worry, except running the VIN and making sure it's not stolen. Buyer beware. Good Luck with it.

Well here I am back at work expecting last night to have my trailer outside with a new old xs650 on the back of it.. No such luck.... turns out the bike is not a 74 model but the vin indicates that it is an 80 or 81.. he does not have the title so I opted out of purchasing. Really sucks cause I had my hopes up all night.. and actually lost a bit of sleep over the excitement. I'm sure every one here can relate. So first thing Monday morning I'll be taking the VIN number to the DMV and finding out what I need to do to get the title to this damn thing.. or what the current owner needs to do anyways.. I thought about telling them that its an abandoned bike found on some family's property and start from scratch that way.. if the VIN shows no lien or stolen info.. There has got to be a way!!!!

Go talk directly to the License Director for your county. I'm in Huntsville (Madison County) and the guy here has been great working with me on title problems on an old 88 Range Rover and a 79 XT500 that needed titles. Took a while but both are titled, tagged, and insured properly. Fortunately my 650 is a 74 so that won't be an issue when it's finished.

Good luck - Robby

Am i the only one that has had a good experience getting an untitled bike on the road? I got mine registered and plated in an afternoon.

I would see if you can find a motorcycle forum dedicated to your state and look for threads on the matter. I found some advice on PNWRiders and got my XS street legal no problem.

Go talk directly to the License Director for your county. I'm in Huntsville (Madison County) and the guy here has been great working with me on title problems on an old 88 Range Rover and a 79 XT500 that needed titles. Took a while but both are titled, tagged, and insured properly. Fortunately my 650 is a 74 so that won't be an issue when it's finished.

Good luck - Robby

Is the license director at the county courthouse or the dmv?

I bought my bike in CA with just a bill of sale (non-titled) I just went to the dmv and they gave me forms to get a new one. Got a new title in about 2 weeks.

Good luck!

Delaware is pretty black and white. No title, no bike, no exceptions.
I actually have to take all mine through the state police first, because old bikes do not have all 17 digits stamped in the neck. Even though it has a clean title and the DOT sticker, if it is not stamped in the neck, then no dice until the state police sign off on it.

Thats crazy! Alabama is pretty strict on titles.. but Ive never been the one to fight this fight. But guess you gtta do it sometime.. we shall see..

You're in Alabama. Whatever anybody has to say about what they went through in another state does not apply to you. You know, never take legal advice from people who aren't lawyers.

Back