To Chop...or Not?

saltylimey

Yamaha-Honda swinger
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just joined and picking up my "new" '78 XS650E on Saturday.

I've recently finished a CB550 brat-style and intended to move on to the XS and do something similar. BUT...I went to see the bike tonight and it was way better than I thought. It has certainly been lovingly cared for and is in super clean original condition. It also has a fairly interesting background: an ex-Malawian police force bike with plenty of documentation, later imported into the UK in the late '90s.

The bottom line is I'm not sure I can take an angle grinder to her! I'm sure this is an inflammatory question but what are people's views these days? Have these bikes reached an age where they are better kept as original as possible? Or is it still fair game to customise to one's own tastes? Or is there a happy medium?

Just curious!

Christian

i wont get into the for and against hard-tailing.............

You have asked a good question................and i think you know the answer to that question or you wouldn't have asked..............

A good, non restored good condition X650 is worth way more than a chopped bobbed cafe or hacked in any way XS650. Local prices are a consideration, observing the prices from your English brothers and across Europe the price of XS650's reflects the rarity of the models. Any Standard from 70 -79 have a sliding scale of value. earliest model, 70XS1 and 71XSB are at the top of the list, then it really depends on preference, but the later 77-79 Standards are a sought after model. They have all the development an XS650 had done to it by that stage.

The police history and associated documents add value as a collectable item. Of course that value is also related to finding the right collector.

I would be interested in the Vin no, on my ID chart there are a lot of gaps on the confirmation for 78E's.................Some pics would be nice........
link to the ID Chart. http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

i wont get into the for and against hard-tailing.............

You have asked a good question................and i think you know the answer to that question or you wouldn't have asked..............

A good, non restored good condition X650 is worth way more than a chopped bobbed cafe or hacked in any way XS650. Local prices are a consideration, observing the prices from your English brothers and across Europe the price of XS650's reflects the rarity of the models. Any Standard from 70 -79 have a sliding scale of value. earliest model, 70XS1 and 71XSB are at the top of the list, then it really depends on preference, but the later 77-79 Standards are a sought after model. They have all the development an XS650 had done to it by that stage.

The police history and associated documents add value as a collectable item. Of course that value is also related to finding the right collector.

I would be interested in the Vin no, on my ID chart there are a lot of gaps on the confirmation for 78E's.................Some pics would be nice........
link to the ID Chart. http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/
Haha...yes I suppose I had a gut feeling about the answer! Thanks for your reply - interesting about the potential uplift on the 77-79 years. I'll let you know the VIN with pics shortly...

Back