to open up transmission or not... thats the question

ethan hix

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys, Im new to this site, I bought a xs650 frame and motor, building a scrambler, i have no idea how many miles or if there were any issues with motor/transmission...motor turns, ive got top end disassembled and ready to take for valve job/ rebore, so now im looking at this transmission, ive got the clutch off, and everything turns really smoothly, no play, shifts through the gears ok, as far as i can tell, ive shined bright flashlight in transmission oil plug, looks clean, no signs of damaged gears, main reason i was thinking about splitting the bottom end is to clean and paint... Its NASTY, but the more I look at it, it looks like it may be easier to tape everything off real good, and scrub with degreaser....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I just dont want to get the whole thing back together and have transmission problems!!!!!

botton of engine.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Ethan.
The XS650 transmission is quite robust, fairly rare to have problems, and plenty of cheep trannys on eBay.

Splitting the case would let you do other maintenance things, like oil passage and squirter cleanings, bearing inspections, and seal replacements. Also, if its ever been split before, a good way to find any funny business...

If you are going to do the motor right split the cases and do all the seals and clean it once. All the motors I get in I split the cases and change the seals. I have had too many bikes come to me over the years that the crank seals leak or the clutch pusher and motor looks a mess. You have questions or just need some advise you can always get me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM. I am getting ready to do a motor now and I too just have the bottom end ready to do.. This is the best time to learn the motor.

Back