To split or not to split, that is my question

Sazbo

Sazbo
Reaction score
hello all, so here's my story, I needed a project to get me through a long Connectcuit winter, although with the way the weather is going it doesn't seem like it will be that long...anyway I got a 1975 barn find basket case for a $100 bucks, stuck engine, looked like it was buried since 1975, what can I say, I like a challange. I have the whole top end taken apart and have ordered enough parts from Mikesxs to pay his rent for a couple of months. my question is do I split the case to see how everything looks, would it be foolish not to?

Posted via Mobile

tough call, How many miles on it? how do things look from what you can see? you can get a fair look at tranny gears from the kick start area inside the RH cover. Spin the crank holding the small ends you can feel any roughness in the bearings, check rod clearances, slop. Look at the small end of the rods any roughness, discoloration on the outside how much of the "copper" plating is missing? Look at both filters. We would be happy to attempt to read the tea leaves from pics...........

Thanks gggGary, I have no clue on mileage, everything seems tight and moves smoothly, no roughness at all. Where is this copper coating I should check. I'll post some pics.

A few pics here; http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44130

Now that you have a thread going, check the links below
Red_Animated_Down_Arrow.gif
for "similar" threads much relevant info often found there.

Here is the question you got to ask yourself.
Do I want to do this once or twice. All motors that pass my bench that have miles and have been sitting get a full rebuild. Now it may seem like a lot of work but what happens if you do the top end put the motor in the bike and one of the old seals pop out and you got oil everywhere??? You are $50.00 away and you have it tore down. Its a great experience to break a bottom end down and look at what you have. I have seen so many bikes that are killer looking and leave a oil spot everywhere it stops because they were afraid to break the bottom end down and replace seals. Its a 50/50 gamble and it sounds like you already invested tons into this bike what's $50.00 for a seal kit.

Another vote for splitting the cases. Reasons:

1. Experience.
2. You have the time and need something to do.
3. Rubber lip seals and o-rings that have been sitting that long are often dry and hard and will leak.
4. You'll have to retorque everything, another way to prevent leaks.
5. You'll KNOW what you have.

Back