To Split, or Not To Split (was broken sump bolt)

What are the chances of me finding an intake valve cover stud at the hardware store? I’m hopeful.

I have clean gasket surfaces and a new gasket courtesy of Dime City Cycles. The sump screen was torn, so I’m using the one from the other engine.

0E4B6118-6271-48AA-A78E-67D6D091CC7C.jpeg

Not so much got done today, but I did take time to clean up and put away my tools. Sometimes it takes me a long time to find what was just in my hand!

What I meant to ask about is the check valve location. Some of the cheapies have it at the gauge. What that does is effectively make the hose part of the combustion chamber.... which drastically reduces the compression ratio.

Hate to admit it but never took that into consideration when someone was asking me about the compression pressure on a weed wacker. The pressure I was seeing was a bit low and considering the small displacement of that little two smoke engine the volume of the hose would be even more of a factor!

Can be amazing how information from one area can be transferred to another, at least if one keeps an open mind! My problem is sometimes that "open mind" tends to leak out information as opposed to letting it in!

On the broken bolt, weld a nut on the stub of the bolt. Ths heats the bolt and case enough to break the grip of the threads. It should then screw right out.
Leo

On the broken bolt, weld a nut on the stub of the bolt. Ths heats the bolt and case enough to break the grip of the threads. It should then screw right out.
Leo

Leo,
Valve cover or oil pan? I have a valve cover stud that is missing. The oil pan bolt is small and nothing to grip. I’m handling it off to a pro. I know my limitations.

Compression 160 on #1, 100 on #2.

Valves are adjusted. It looks like an abort.

Did you try the trick of a couple squirts of oil in the cylinder and after that check compression once more?
If it stays low then it would be valves if it comes up good then rings.

Thing is if the engine has sat for months or years valves and rings can just need a good bit of running to start working good again.

Did you try the trick of a couple squirts of oil in the cylinder and after that check compression once more?
If it stays low then it would be valves if it comes up good then rings.

Thing is if the engine has sat for months or years valves and rings can just need a good bit of running to start working good again.

That is the compression with oil squirted in there. Yes, I agree. But, if it doesn’t heal, I’m going to a 650 rally on an XS1100.

An XS650 always has one valve open, sitting for long time that valve/seat will rust a bit. I'd bolt it in and run it. Check compression after a couple hundred miles. I've had several motors come up after some running. YOBMV

An XS650 always has one valve open, sitting for long time that valve/seat will rust a bit. I'd bolt it in and run it. Check compression after a couple hundred miles. I've had several motors come up after some running. YOBMV
As many of these as you’ve done, there’s no reason not to trust your judgment. 18 years in a Georgia basement isn’t exactly a dry environment.

On the broken bolt in the case, It doesn't take much sticking out to weld a nut on to it. The nut should be a bit to big. This allows the welder to get down inside the nut and reach the bolt to weld.
On the missing valve cover stud. The hardware store has metric bolts. Find a fully threaded one the same size as the stud. Cut off the head. Clean up cut end. Thread this into the head snug. You now have a stud.
Leo

On the broken bolt in the case, It doesn't take much sticking out to weld a nut on to it. The nut should be a bit to big. This allows the welder to get down inside the nut and reach the bolt to weld.
On the missing valve cover stud. The hardware store has metric bolts. Find a fully threaded one the same size as the stud. Cut off the head. Clean up cut end. Thread this into the head snug. You now have a stud.
Leo
image.jpg

I’m one nut away, Leo! I don’t have a welder. The machinist gets it!

Last edited:
I use this approach as posted by 5twins in that tech thread. A small bottle jack with heat gun and it takes very little pressure....mYFwxlC.jpg

Back