Too big for xs650. Need bigger bike

Boilermaker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Riding a recently purchased xs650, 1979 hardtail, dropseat. Love the bike but realize it is just too small a frame for me. I am 6'3", 205lbs. I am putting on new forward foot controls from TC Bros but still think I'll be too big. Do i need to step up to a xs750, xs1100 or what?

I saw my 650 and an xs750 parked side by side and the 750 is bigger, maybe a similar frame size to a Sportster, but resembling the 650. I'm 5'10", 150 and sometimes I feel like it's borderline too small a frame for even me. But it's a good versatile size of bike. The 750 doesn't have anything like the parts support of the 650.

I'm 6' 1" at 205 lbs. I probably look like a gorilla on a bicycle on mine... I don't care, I still like the bike and ride it about everyday to work..... I'm sure it gives someone a good laugh......

I have a hardtailed xs650, a Harley Street bob and a Honda Gl500 and they are all about the same in length. I lowered my Harley and put on a thinner seat and the seat height is about the same as my XS. It does however feel small but I think because it's so light, but I love it. After finally dialing everything in and fixing my vibration issue, it's a blast to ride.

I think based on my height i need to rethink the hard-tail, drop-seat. I dont really care what I look like (not really). Its more a comfort thing. Ill see how it goes with the new forward controls from TC Bros.

I'm 6'6" and 290. Have seen myself in vidio riding my XS chopper. Definately looks small with me on it. But I don't feel big on the bike. Seems comfy and right.

Us big guys just make stuff look small. Not much we can do about it, as most bikes are going to be relatively the same size. I remember Jesse James made Shaq a special chopper with a frame made to fit his size. Only prob I saw with the finished product was the wheels and engine then looked to small.

Im around 5' 11".

When I mounted my seat at the base of the backbone where it splits & the TC Controls on the 2 bolts at the front of the engine- the bike was an instant backache as soon as I put my feet up..

I moved the seat back about 3" & I moved the forward controls about 3-4" forward using the old frame loop welded to the downtubes..

The bike could not be anymore comfortable.. Feels like youre sitting in a LA-Z BOY !!

I think based on my height i need to rethink the hard-tail, drop-seat. I dont really care what I look like (not really). Its more a comfort thing. Ill see how it goes with the new forward controls from TC Bros.

The forwards will help. At your height you would probably still want to forwards if you were on a stock frame so starting there is a good choice. I'm 5-8" and the stock XSs frames fit me fine but if my legs were longer I'd be cramped in no time.

dude, im 6ft 3 230lb... I ride the hell out of mine.. who gives a shit haha. As long as you enjoy it, it doesnt matter.. plus i bet your hardtailed 650 looks better than most harleys out there.

Back