Too close of a call today...

Alex Wagers

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and took my XS to work like any other day. However, on the way home today out of nowhere a baby deer darted in front of me! Somehow he managed to run directly head on into my left stator cover and barely brushed my bottom left shin. The stator took 95% of the impact. I was very fortunate not to lay my bike down but here’s where things get strange. Not 1 mile after the accident my voltmeter started to drop from 14 to 13 all the way down to 11. It ran at a steady 11 volts for about 25 miles on the way home then started dropping even lower. Luckily I was about to make it home with the bike spuddering but still running with the headlight turned off. All I can think is that the deer partially shorted out the stator when it hit the cover? My bike is a 1980 PMA / Pamco setup and it also ran at a constant 14 volts around 3,000 RPM before the accident. The PMA was purchased from TC Bros around a year ago and other than this I’ve had absolutely zero issues with the charging system and my bike has always started right up. Does anybody know where I could find another 3 phase stator? Preferably American Made. Thanks a lot.

I honestly don’t know of any American made stators for the PMA set up, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. (The one you have now I’m willing to bet isn’t American made). You live in NC, look up Hughs Handbuilt. He’s based outta your home base. Glad you’re ok!

Disregard that last part I meant Japanese stators excuse me. Been a long day. I’m fully aware the current one on my bike is as Chinese as they come figure8. Curious if anybody has used a CBR600 stator before for this swap.

Alex---The CBR 600 stator 86-90 will work also the VF 500 84-85. For me a good used original is much better than Chinese knock off's. The overall size is 103mm X 42mm X 20mm. Mrriggs had a list of the compatible three phase stators . Glad you are ok and good luck with your fix.
tim

"All I can think" That cover is pretty strong, lots of clearance, unlike some Hondas that would puke their alternator at the slightest bump.
TEST and confirm where the problem REALLY is FIRST! Could be a wire/connection knocked loose, or shorted by the impact or you leg etc, nearly anywhere!

Glad you made it out of that one safe. Sounds like something probably worked it's way loose. Years ago I hit a deer at 2am. I was in college and T-bones a 12pt buck on a ninja 250. I came out of it ok, just needed a couple stitches in my left arm from where his antler cut me, have a scar about 2" long. All I remember was an open rode, then a giant deer, then flying through the air screaming obscenities inside of my helmet. The helmet didn't come out looking so pretty. Luckily a car saw it happened and stopped. This was before everyone had a cellphone, and at that time of night I probably would've been stranded there for quite a while.

Timbeck thanks man that’s exaxtly what I needed to know. I would much rather have a slightly used Japanese stator vs a brand new Chinese one. I’m going to take the cover off when I get home from work to see if the nut holding on the flywheel possibly came loose or the bolts holding the stator which I highly doubt but worth a check. Only god and myself know the force in which that deer hit my ignition cover and it was HARD. My regulator was nice and cool that was the first thing I checked after I got home after the accident. Thanks again for all the help Fellas

Alex---On one of my bikes I use a clear Lexan flywheel/stator cover. The Lexan has a scratched area the size of a nickel form the end of the crank just barely touching it. Things do get close in there. The original cover is a bit dished to give some more room from the crank end.
tim

Back