Tool Question (no, not what does 46 & 2 mean) Remote Tachometer

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I figure if anybody knows......or has an opinion I'd actually listen to, it'd be here.

Here's my problem. I picked up another bike last weekend, a starter/first bike for my daughter. It needed a good carb cleaning and I've got that completed. I'll say this........it was absolutely the hardest carb I've ever had to remove and re-install on a motorcycle....... and the sucker has 63......yes 63 parts. Most complicated carb I've ever worked on.

Now I need to set the mixture and I want to tool up and FINALLY purchase a remote tachometer......no more guessing RPMs. Easy enough heh? Well.......................................................no it's not. I thought for sure one would be easy to find. In years past I've looked at getting one but on my singles I'd gotten to the point setting mixture by ear was "good" enough. With this bike.......to follow the Service Manual....I'm going to have to know the RPMs.

Can somebody point me in the right direction???? I'm seeing and reading about a lot of junk out there and I want a tool that will work.....I'm done with guessing.

Money$$$$$$$$ well I figure it's not going to be cheap but I still need both my arms and legs.

Thanks in advance.....any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

Needing to tool up in NC...........Gordon

I've used an hand held optical tach. It comes with reflective tape that we would place on a shaft. Many years ago so I don't have a name for you.

I've used an hand held optical tach. It comes with reflective tape that we would place on a shaft. Many years ago so I don't have a name for you.

I have a couple of Trail Tech speedos ( Generation 1 & 3) and they have worked flawlessly. They offer a tach for under $40 that I'm thinking about. Inductive ????? so you wouldn't have to place a target.

The factory manual for the bike I'm working on states that in the final adjustment of the air screw your looking for a 50 RMP decrease as you turn the air screw in. I really don't want to just guess that and a remote tach would be handy around the shop......never had one and I'm a bit of a tool junkie.

http://www.trailtech.net/tto-tach-hour-meter-black-5363

Thanks for taking the time to reply........winter is just around the corner....Gordon inn NC

I use an Equus digital multimeter by Innova. It has a tach function with pulses per revolution selectable from a menu and comes with an inductive pickup. It's a mid-priced meter, a little south of $100.

I use an Equus digital multimeter by Innova. It has a tach function with pulses per revolution selectable from a menu and comes with an inductive pickup. It's a mid-priced meter, a little south of $100.

Okay..... I really like that idea for several reasons. How about a model number???? I looked at the 3340 and it has the RPM option but woud rather get one that is tried and true.

THANK YOU for the help......I knew I came to the right place.

Gordon in NC

That's what I have, Gordon, model 3340. I've been using it for around 3 years now, very pleased with it.

- - - I picked up another bike last weekend, a starter/first bike for my daughter. It needed a good carb cleaning and I've got that completed. I'll say this........it was absolutely the hardest carb I've ever had to remove and re-install on a motorcycle....... and the sucker has 63......yes 63 parts. Most complicated carb I've ever worked on. - - -
...........Gordon
Hi Gordon,
now you've got the tach choice sorted, drop the other shoe, eh?
What bike was it? And if the carb's got 63 parts in it, how complicated is the rest of the bike?

OK, carbs are hard to get off and on and have lotsa bits. If Gordon will give me one more hint I'll make a guess: does the bike have a cable actuated synch. mechanism?

It appears that meter also has a very nice dwell function with a 2 cyl. setting. That would be sweet.

Geeze fellers......I really don't like talking about another brand or bike on this forum. It was a tool question.
But here are a few more hints for those of you interested.

It's widely used for Motorcycle Safety Courses, (hense my getting it for my daughter's first bike).
It's a 250cc.
They made and sold a blue zillion of them. (and about all that changed on them was the color for the years they made them 1987 ? to 2003? or something like that)
It's not a Yamaha, Sa dukie, or Cowasockee......but it was made in Japan.

OH!!!! and it only has ONE carb......thank goodness

Now enough of that. I'm looking at the 3340 and by golly if Grizld1 says it okay....it must be but I can't help but be a bit concerned about some of the reviews for it on Amazon????? User problems???

I have to wait until payday tomorrow anyway so I have time to think about it and sort it out.

Thanks for all the help fellows.......Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Hmmm.... Gordon, those reviews weren't up when I bought the meter, but they'd have gotten my attention for sure. The difference between a good experience and a bad one is as often as not just a matter of luck, and I might have gotten lucky. But given that one of the reviewers seems to associate signal spiking with sampling rate, I'd guess there's at least some user error in the picture.

I was going to guess (wrongly) that you were wrenching on a Suzuki Intruder--they're hateful things to work on.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... Gordon, those reviews weren't up when I bought the meter, but they'd have gotten my attention for sure. The difference between a good experience and a bad one is as often as not just a matter of luck, and I might have gotten lucky. But given that one of the reviewers seems to associate signal spiking with sampling rate, I'd guess there's at least some user error in the picture.

I was going to guess (wrongly) that you were wrenching on a Suzuki Intruder--they're hateful things to work on.

grizld1....I tend to read those reviews and every now and then write one myself. It's an opinion and we all know how they can be. I love new tools and the cost won't break the bank so I'm in for having my own opinion. Of course if it doesn't work.......I'm showing up on your doorstep with my torch and pitchfork in hand!!!!!!!!

OR.......we'll just laugh about it at one of the XS rallies!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the help, Gordon in NC

One of the reviews mentioned the GTC TA100. Which is a single purpose unit and cost more...but is interesting.

What's a man to do????????? I wish I could afford to buy them all. I've gotten by all these years without one....but it's time and now I'm feeling like I can't live without one....ever have that feeling?

Oh yea, never mind.......look at the hobby we're in. How many of us have ONLY ONE motorcycle???? hahahahahahahahahahaha

Conflicted in NC Gordon

Hey, Conflicted. Here's another one.
A hot tip from 5twins in this post:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/cam-rod-and-timing-points.45390/page-2#post-465827

Being a similarly infected tool/gadget nut, I just had to have one.
The current listing:

A.W. Sperry ADM-18A Automotive Tester Meter/Multimeter (New) $15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161823459197

It has tach and dwell functions. Vintage item, included batteries are over 15 years old, toss them. On initial testing, I was disappointed, its readings were inconsistent and wandering. Then I rubbed-down the probe tips with #0000 steel wool, retested, works great! On the low resistance 200 ohm scale, touching the probes together shows an absolute "0" on the display. First one I've seen do that...

No....but VERY close. She isn't fond of the crusier seating/footpeg position.
Gordon
Hi Gordon,
you ol' teaser you, if at ain't a Rubble it's close, eh?
Perhaps it's like a flat twin BMW which has more parts in it's twistgrip than in it's engine
(I mean, does a twistgrip really need bevel gears a cam and a chain to work? but I digress)
However, a 63 part carb does seem to have a touch of the Rube Goldbergs.
Perhaps you could swap in an AMAL which only has maybe seven?

Hi Gordon,
you ol' teaser you, if at ain't a Rubble it's close, eh?
Perhaps it's like a flat twin BMW which has more parts in it's twistgrip than in it's engine
(I mean, does a twistgrip really need bevel gears a cam and a chain to work? but I digress)
However, a 63 part carb does seem to have a touch of the Rube Goldbergs.
Perhaps you could swap in an AMAL which only has maybe seven?

Oh Lord Fred......Sunday morning when I was trying to get that darn thing back in the bike.....I would have given my right arm for an Amal swap. I can take ALL my amals off, diassemble, soak them in the carb dip for an hour, reassemble and install in..... HALF the time it took me to get that darn thing back in place. BUT.....I got in a hurry and was only going by a Clymers.......Factory Manual got here (over a week in the mail) Monday and now I see what part of the problem was/is. I'll not make that mistake again.

Yes, not a Rubble....think of it as a more upright riding position, probably the same engine? and in my daughter's eyes....a lot sexier???? In Red.

Gordon

"TwoManyXS1Bs, post: 477119, member: 14703"]Hey, Conflicted. Here's another one. <snip>

You're killing me 2M.............................

I got all excited (tools do that to me) but looking at the photo of the face I see at the RPM setting.....lowest is for a 3CYL?????? Most of my bikes are singles.....and I have three twins.....screw the cars they outgrew me YEARS ago when they went to EI. I hardly lift a hood anymore.

Can you use it on a twin or a single in the RPM mode???????

Yer killing me man....................Gordon

Back