Tool to hold the damper rod

jimed

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to get my forks apart and need instructions on how to build the tool to hold the damper rod while I loosen the hex bolt in the bottom. I have seen these plans before but for the life of me I can't find them:banghead:. I know it is made up of threaded rod and various nuts but what size nuts and what diameter rod? I have a 1981 special.

Try undoing the bolt before you take the forks apart, this way it normally comes undone without a tool, if the forks are already apart it's to late you might be able to do it with an impact driver without the tool.

You don't need a special tool, just get a coupling nut that fits a 17 mm. socket. Tape it into the socket so it won't drop out and stack up a few extensions.

forkdamper.jpg

Something like this would do the trick too.

Snap-On sell's a 17 mm socket for VW drain plug's that is the same size all around. It's like a allen socket,except it's all one piece.The part # is CPT110A.3/8 drive, & a long extension work's great.
Travis' tool work's too, the trick to using the 'jam nut' method is to use locktight on the thread's, & tighten the bejesus out of them. My local Snap-On dealer keep's those on his truck,& about $12. :shrug: :bike:

I just came in from the shop where I was assembling my forks. The first went together without the dampening rod turning. The second turned and would not tighten. I used apiece of 3/4" electric tubing, notched to engage the flats on the upper end of the rod and it worked for me and tightened up.

Good luck!

Snap-On sell's a 17 mm socket for VW drain plug's that is the same size all around. It's like a allen socket,except it's all one piece.The part # is CPT110A.3/8 drive, & a long extension work's great.

OMG, I totally forgot about that socket since I have to rebuild mine. Yeah its the socket for the drain and fill plugs on the manual trans. I have one sitting in my tool box at work, good looking out. :thumbsup:

Hi, that sounds like a useful thing to have around. Have you got any photo's? I might need to make one tomorrow. My bike has been off the road since lunchtime and i'm already missing it. Cheers, smiffy

I used a broom handle, shaved it down like a spear but with flat sides, tapped it in and used vise grips to hold it. It worked, it was made with stuff laying around, and best part FREE!

- ive made tools before using both these methods, cant find either of them at the moment so cant provide a photo

- 1 meter length of 1/2in waer pipe, cut out 90° of arc and opposite that another 90° so that you have 2 opposing 90° flanges that can engage in the flatsides of the damper head

or,

- use a cheap 17mm 6 sided socket and cut so that 2 opposing sides remain

Back