Tools - JIS screwdrivers (Pete’s annual rant)

I respect old-fashioned and low tech, but it seems like almost anything would be a better heat source :)
Agreed. I've decided to get a heat gun as using a torch can sometimes be overkill. I've cooked out grease and melted adjacent non metal parts with a torch on bicycle pedal cranks. There's not a lot of corrosion on this XS, though. Thanks, guys!

I used to live where there was a nearby muffler shop that I had do stuff that was beyond me. They were great -- and usually charged me about $5 or nothing. And learned a lot from them.

One thing they did was use a torch to remove an adjusting grub screw from a luggage rack I bought that was rusted in. Maybe there are heat guns that get really, really hot, my experience with them is with assembly or packing or something, and they were pretty mild. The hotter (and more focused) the source of heat is the shorter the time he heat is applied and the less the heat gets spread around, actually. My feeling is they would have laughed at the idea of a heat gun, but I don't know, but being a muffler shop they were used to doing magic with torches.

Thanks 5Twins - great advice on the specialty tools!

US members - Paul of GoFastInnovations.com quotes in USD and ship to the US as well.

Pete

Last edited:
Another thing about bits vs screwdrivers is the flat bits have that concave curve that ends up with the sides parallel at the tip. I haven't seen a screwdriver that didn't have the wedge shape.

A tool that would be really useful would be either phillips or flat that had a sharp hooked edge cut into the left side at the very end, so when you turned it counterclockwise the edge would bite into the sides of the slot. It would stick real well I think.

... I haven't seen a screwdriver that didn't have the wedge shape...

You have to get into the more expensive hollow-ground gunsmithing and machinists screwdrivers for those.

... A tool that would be really useful would be either phillips or flat that had a sharp hooked edge cut into the left side at the very end, so when you turned it counterclockwise the edge would bite into the sides of the slot. It would stick real well I think.

Not easily found, but I like the serrated edging on some specialty bits.
GripperBits.jpg

I guess that's why I'm such a big fan of anti-seize compound. Pretty much every nut and bolt on the whole bike gets it, except for internal fasteners inside the engine and carbs. But even those have their threads lubed with oil or something light like WD40 before going together. I don't like to assemble anything totally dry. My "weapon" of choice .....

dizMIet.jpg

5T G'day,

When I was in aviation we used to call that stuff Galaxy grease.

GW

Was "Galaxy" a plane reference? I've been using this same stuff, this copper based C5-A for probably near 40 years. I got my first couple cans from a "scratch & dent" store for just a few dollars each. Finally ran low after all these years (shouldn't have given so much away, lol) and had to buy more. Boy, that stuff is expensive when you have to pay full price, lol.

Not easily found, but I like the serrated edging on some specialty bits.
View attachment 133298
I actually had one of those in flat. It broke cleanly along a serration. In fact I could still use it...
Something that resembles what I was thinking of...if you use a cheap phillips bit to undo a screw and it bends before the screw breaks free, it makes a little spiral. If you could bend one in the tightening direction instead, then file the outer faces of the X to sharpen it, and then harden it somehow, you'd have close to what I was thinking of. Not exactly, but close. You wouldn't want the spiral, but rather each 1/4 of the X flopped over evenly

More fuel for the fire.

According to Vessel, the JIS standard stopped after 2008. Their advise: "Look for the DIN 5260 certification on your cross point driver and don’t worry about the JIS anymore."

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/

There's also a flood of Posidriv bits out there, marked "PZ", versus the traditional phillips, marked "PH". Essentially, keep your wits about you...

I wonder how Chapman would respond to that.
Here's the bits you need for $5 at Tractor Supply. Security bits, full set of torx with a hole in the middle, and flats with a slot in the middle. Fix your household appliances and shock, burn, and irradiate yourselves with aplomb and alacrity.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-3-in-security-bits-with-adapter?cm_vc=-10005
That's great! I just bought a 2019 Chevy Express 6 door van and it came with window guards on the side doors that have a T-40 screw holding them in. Since this is a hippy van, I don't need guards and don't have the star wrench to fit. You can't beat the price.

^ Last week I need to fix the latch on my microwave (door wouldn't open anymore) and looked everywhere and the guy at walmart told me about these so I went over and picked up a set.

Not sure it's the same pattern as your car uses though.

Back