Tools - JIS screwdrivers (Pete’s annual rant)

^ Last week I need to fix the latch on my microwave (door wouldn't open anymore) and looked everywhere and the guy at walmart told me about these so I went over and picked up a set.

Not sure it's the same pattern as your car uses though.
Ok, thanks, xj. I measured the slot from point to point and came up with roughly 1/4" which is close to a T-40 which is .26". But I'm getting them anyway, in stock at the closest Tractor Supply. And, while I'm there, I'll look for a heat gun of 1100 degrees. If it's not right, I'll stop at my local auto parts supply store and pick up one bit.
I don't think I'll get an arguement from anyone present that you can never have enough tools.

Last edited:
Indeed. I just ordered up some more Vessel J.I.S. bits, the 1" long sets (I got several) from this place. This was the best price I ran across for these .....

http://absolute-wits-end.com/3-piece-jis-insert-bits/

0d6NmpH.jpg

I've had and used the 2" long Vessel bits for several years now. They fit and work well. Figured it was time I had some shorter ones, lol. And speaking of 1/4" insert bits, Banggood has a large, reasonably priced selection. While they don't specifically list any as J.I.S. types, they have others that are of interest to us like metric Allens. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in some of Gary's pics so it looks like he's discovered this source as well.

Bought the BG metric ball head Allen insert bits, they work great for intake manifold bolts and a few other hard to reach places.

Hokey dokey sportsfans:

I guess its time for another installment of the tool rant. This time, I come armed with an excellent article (see the attached .pdf file) on the JIS vs. Phillips issue and something new: the VamPlier screw extraction pliers.

I just got a pair of these puppies and they really are cool - check out the article!

Cheers,

Pete

Attachments

• JIS-Phillips+VampPliers.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 291
This is the place to get these JIS screwdrivers if you are in Canada!
Great customer service too.

https://www.gofastinnovations.com/store1/

Too true RSOR - and Go Fast will ship to the US too. Their tools are as good (IMO) as Vessel and less expensive as well

The only issue is that they do not offer a JIS #3 impact driver which is absolutely the beans for getting the screws out of an XS650 clutch basket.

Pete

Cool pliers Pete.......

To ad to the screwdriver thing...........

When buying a new set of screwdrivers i recommend considering a set of solid shaft screwdrivers........Will cost a fair bit more but IMHO,the benifits out-way the negative cost..................first off i have never used an impact driver since buying these type. .........Big advantage over an impact driver is the length of shaft that can get to difficult places..........

Setting the screwdriver into the head of the screw, it has to be aligned properly, (off course), i hit the end of the driver several times with a hammer to help to break the stuck threads and this also helps to seat the driver into the screw head..........

Hand held while twisting the grip and hammering on the end of the screwdriver is usually enough to break them free. Sometimes i need to use a small shifter, (adjustable wrench), on the end, (does require a small amount of dexterity), and the extra leverage will break free the hardest ones.

Installing screws i also use the hammer on the end, ( size of hammer and force used determines required torque), of the shaft for that last bit of seating.........they don't back out even on these vibrators

I found this works on damaged screws that would normally never be able to be removed..........even slightly damaged screws i have reused time and again.........not just because i have Scottish blood......but using this process means they can without problems damaging the screw heads beyond recognition and having to get out the dremel........

-Large-Metric-Full-Tang-Solid-Shaft-Screw-Driver-4.jpg

Cool pliers Pete.......

To ad to the screwdriver thing...........

When buying a new set of screwdrivers i recommend considering a set of solid shaft screwdrivers........Will cost a fair bit more but IMHO,the benifits out-way the negative cost..................first off i have never used an impact driver since buying these type. .........Big advantage over an impact driver is the length of shaft that can get to difficult places..........

Setting the screwdriver into the head of the screw, it has to be aligned properly, (off course), i hit the end of the driver several times with a hammer to help to break the stuck threads and this also helps to seat the driver into the screw head..........

Hand held while twisting the grip and hammering on the end of the screwdriver is usually enough to break them free. Sometimes i need to use a small shifter, (adjustable wrench), on the end, (does require a small amount of dexterity), and the extra leverage will break free the hardest ones.

Installing screws i also use the hammer on the end, ( size of hammer and force used determines required torque), of the shaft for that last bit of seating.........they don't back out even on these vibrators

I found this works on damaged screws that would normally never be able to be removed..........even slightly damaged screws i have reused time and again.........not just because i have Scottish blood......but using this process means they can without problems damaging the screw heads beyond recognition and having to get out the dremel........

-Large-Metric-Full-Tang-Solid-Shaft-Screw-Driver-4.jpg

Yes indeed Doug - and the GoFast drivers are full-shank which means that there is one piece of metal from the driver bit end right through the handle to the hex at the far end. So, you could put a socket, a wrench or even an impact gun (gently) on the hex end and really go to town on a stuck screw.

The right tool for the right job - is always the way to go.

Too true RSOR - and Go Fast will ship to the US too. Their tools are as good (IMO) as Vessel and less expensive as well

The only issue is that they do not offer a JIS #3 impact driver which is absolutely the beans for getting the screws out of an XS650 clutch basket.

Pete

I was having trouble with that too, I used my belt grinder to round off the bit from my impact driver set that was the snuggest fit, grind a bit then try, grind a bit more till it seats all the way, then used an electric impact gun rather than the impact driver, they came out and went back in easy, the bits in the kits are too long/pointy to allow them to seat properly in the screw socket.

Yes indeed Doug - and the GoFast drivers are full-shank which means that there is one piece of metal from the driver bit end right through the handle to the hex at the far end. So, you could put a socket, a wrench or even an impact gun (gently) on the hex end and really go to town on a stuck screw.

The right tool for the right job - is always the way to go.

Working on renovations i found that i was going through bits for my impact driver all the time............removing stuck hinge screws was difficult due to situations where the door wasn't able to be opened all the way back...............walloping on the screws, (as i said), would brake bits with regular monotiny, and if i didn;t have plenty of spares, all sizes, well, that's what makes the difference between a job being easy or hard, especially if 2 bits were broken in one day, not uncommon........and the extra cost of so called quality bits didn't make a lot of difference to breackage, except in the pocket..........Buying a set of through shaft screwdrivers, i found i could do the job as easy and at times far easier than using an impact driver...........also the extra cost of the screwdrivers has been reduced by not having to replace the impact driver bits...........

IMHO...For me the right tool for the job isn't an impact driver............

I don’t know what brand my impact driver is but I’ve had it over 20 years and I got it second hand, so who knows how old it is, I lost the metal box it came in so it sits in one of the draws in my tool chest, it still has the original bits, and their tips are all still good, no breakages, must be good steel and heat treat.

I've had a single Vessel Impacta for a couple of years and it's been great. I had the Vessel set on index for purchase for ages but then discovered that other makers are bringing out their own JIS sets, so just bought a set of Sealey JIS drivers.
Sealey are OK if you buy their semi-pro stuff, but they also have some junk in their range, so it's not a shoo-in these will be any good.
Cheap enough to take the chance on, but the first broken tip will see them in the bin and Vessel bought instead.
Sealey JIS driver set.jpg

Aw, Pete, now look what you've done - just gone and bought meself a set of four Sealey JIS screwdrivers. To add to the Vessel Impacta I already bought on your recommendation.

Men & tools? Pal of mine likens it to women & shoes.

Back