Tools - JIS screwdrivers (Pete’s annual rant)

These are the 2" long Vessel J.I.S. bits I've been using for years and really like, #1060 through 1063 .....

IZ7q4Jf.jpg
@5twins, where do you source those? That is exactly what I want.

Edit: I just discovered post #62. Thank you for that!

Last edited:
I've had a single Vessel Impacta for a couple of years and it's been great. I had the Vessel set on index for purchase for ages but then discovered that other makers are bringing out their own JIS sets, so just bought a set of Sealey JIS drivers.
Sealey are OK if you buy their semi-pro stuff, but they also have some junk in their range, so it's not a shoo-in these will be any good.
Cheap enough to take the chance on, but the first broken tip will see them in the bin and Vessel bought instead.
View attachment 177762
A broken tip is not unlikely for a 1st quality screwdriver. The metal is very hard. That is why professional technicians buy from those who come around with the tool truck often.

maxresdefault.jpg

The local S-O man is a phantom, can never get hold of him and he's seemingly not interested in an individual customer.
Contrast that with when I moved to the S.E. of England - I spotted a S-O truck outside a workshop, and noted he was there every week. next time I went into his van and presented him with a broken Pozi driver. He quickly fitted a new blade and refused to charge for it.
A couple of weeks later I bought a timing light and a few other things from him.
Only goes to show - if he'd been an arse about the screwdriver I wouldn't have given him the business.

The local S-O man is a phantom, can never get hold of him and he's seemingly not interested in an individual customer.
Contrast that with when I moved to the S.E. of England - I spotted a S-O truck outside a workshop, and noted he was there every week. next time I went into his van and presented him with a broken Pozi driver. He quickly fitted a new blade and refused to charge for it.
A couple of weeks later I bought a timing light and a few other things from him.
Only goes to show - if he'd been an arse about the screwdriver I wouldn't have given him the business.

When I was working at the HD dealership that guy was waitin at the back door of the shop every Friday afternoon to collect my paycheck. I leave the dealership with all my SO warrantied tools all the sudden SO wants nothing to do with me. I gotta get the local mechanic shop to exchange my broken tools for me.

I had a MAC tool dealer who lived close by. No problem for me to deal with him in his driveway in the evening. He serviced my workplace, but dealing with him after hours was easier and preferable to me.

When I was working at the HD dealership that guy was waitin at the back door of the shop every Friday afternoon to collect my paycheck. I leave the dealership with all my SO warrantied tools all the sudden SO wants nothing to do with me. I gotta get the local mechanic shop to exchange my broken tools for me.
Some of them are arseholes, without doubt. However, I've been lucky enough to deal with some good ones.

My Snap On dealer is great. No deal on the purchase price unless it’s on promo, but great customer service. Excellent warranty coverage too. I have lots of their tools and they are expensive but the quality is really good. Does this justify the exorbitant pricing? Probably not...

Another quick comment on screwdrivers. Some think that a screwdriver is a screwdriver. Sure it’s important that the tip is of good quality and the handle is comfortable, but another important feature is the weight of the handle of the screwdriver. A good screwdriver needs to have some “heft” or mass to it which makes spinning out already loosened screws much easier and faster. Important on all drivers other than slotted ones that you normally can spin out quickly anyway because of tip disengagement. If you’re the type of person that loosens a screw 1/8 of a turn at a time, the heavy handle won’t help you.

A quick tip (excuse the pun), it’s to lightly sandblast the contact surfaces of the tip of your well used screwdrivers. I’ve found this allows them to grab better. Or if it’s a tool with a good warranty ... oops the tip just broke off.

Last edited:
Aw, Pete, now look what you've done - just gone and bought meself a set of four Sealey JIS screwdrivers. To add to the Vessel Impacta I already bought on your recommendation.

Men & tools? Pal of mine likens it to women & shoes.

yes Raymond - but tools are useful and easier to hide than shoes. ;)

Regarding @5twins post #62. I ordered those short bits. I have a lot of magnetic bit holders and socket end magnet screwdrivers from Mac and Snap-on. These are just what I wanted. At $3 shipping, a few sets is just the ticket.

Indeed. I just ordered up some more Vessel J.I.S. bits, the 1" long sets (I got several) from this place. This was the best price I ran across for these .....

http://absolute-wits-end.com/3-piece-jis-insert-bits/

0d6NmpH.jpg

I've had and used the 2" long Vessel bits for several years now. They fit and work well. Figured it was time I had some shorter ones, lol. And speaking of 1/4" insert bits, Banggood has a large, reasonably priced selection. While they don't specifically list any as J.I.S. types, they have others that are of interest to us like metric Allens. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in some of Gary's pics so it looks like he's discovered this source as well.
I went to the above link. I bought two sets of bits. I closed the deal on Saturday. I paid $3.30 for shipping. They were delivered this morning. That was a 100% positive experience. Thanks again for posting that @5twins!

Indeed. I just ordered up some more Vessel J.I.S. bits, the 1" long sets (I got several) from this place. This was the best price I ran across for these .....

http://absolute-wits-end.com/3-piece-jis-insert-bits/

0d6NmpH.jpg

I've had and used the 2" long Vessel bits for several years now. They fit and work well. Figured it was time I had some shorter ones, lol. And speaking of 1/4" insert bits, Banggood has a large, reasonably priced selection. While they don't specifically list any as J.I.S. types, they have others that are of interest to us like metric Allens. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in some of Gary's pics so it looks like he's discovered this source as well.
Thanks for the source !! Almost wish I had a Land cruiser too
Got 2 sets coming my way

Hokey dokey sportsfans:

I guess its time for another installment of the tool rant. This time, I come armed with an excellent article (see the attached .pdf file) on the JIS vs. Phillips issue and something new: the VamPlier screw extraction pliers.

I just got a pair of these puppies and they really are cool - check out the article!

Cheers,

Pete
Another Damn tool :laughing:
Thanks Pete now all I have to decide is which one(s) It's colder than the hubs of hell out here (Hubs of hell ??) so a shopping I go
I will have heat in my shop this winter and won't have to rely on sunny day solar heat only

I went to the above link. I bought two sets of bits. I closed the deal on Saturday. I paid $3.30 for shipping. They were delivered this morning. That was a 100% positive experience. Thanks again for posting that @5twins!
How can they ship these for so cheap ? At other vendors I can order something about the weight of a 2 legged fly and it's cost a ton of money to ship in fact I just ordered a tiny gasket for my Triumph which would have fit in a postage envelope but nope BIG envelope and big shipping

How can they ship these for so cheap ? At other vendors I can order something about the weight of a 2 legged fly and it's cost a ton of money to ship in fact I just ordered a tiny gasket for my Triumph which would have fit in a postage envelope but nope BIG envelope and big shipping
Economy of scale. Little guy does what's economical. Larger business has an employee with no brain. "You do it this way no matter what."

Economy of scale. Little guy does what's economical. Larger business has an employee with no brain. "You do it this way no matter what."
Your probably right :shrug:
Example "Now here John are these LARGE envelopes you use ALL the time and don't forget the 2lbs of packing material "
but if you order from Air Craft Spruce for drain plug crush washers their shipping is reasonable
I think some places just keep the price lower and make up for it with shipping
Unless you order $50 or more :banghead:

When I ordered those bits back at the beginning of 2019, they were quite a bit cheaper, only $3.35 a set. I see they've gone up, lol. But, shipping hasn't changed much, it was only $3.18 for me back then.

Just ordered a set of bits. Thinking how I might ID them to keep them separated form all of my other phillips bits. Maybe a band of paint on the non contact surfaces. I was cleaning the garage and found some old touch up paint from cars that I don’t own any longer that may do the trick. I will also try some coloured heat shrink tube. I’ll post if successful.

Back