Top end noise

Squiggly

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 1971 xs open pipes open air box it started leaking. Oil bottom of jugs so tore down an put all new gaskets in during that process noticed cam chain tensioner assembly was trash so got on eBay an. Found one but whe I got it it was off a 72 6 hole. No prob the 4 holes line up the other two are out of harm so put motor all back togather Fire it up an I have chater in top end checked specs again .006 front .003 in rear cam chain tensioner look to spec. I'm getting oil up there as well don't know where else to look. Thank for ur time

well here ia chance that after you started it up the rubber came off it and the chain it hitting the aluminum now.
It that is so, draining the oil and pulling the sump plate off will let you look and see.
The rubber on one of my engines came off and slid down into the sump.
try this link to see video

K sound like that b worth a shot an may I can get that video to come up some time it sounds like the tapits are loose but they are good

Hey, Squiggly. You've probably got a stretched camchain, worn front camchain guide, and improperly intermixed camchain tensioner parts. The '70 and early '71 engines used a 4-bolt tensioner, with a matching tensioner rubbing block mounted atop the case between the cylinders, also known as the type 'A' tensioner system. Have a look at the camchain tensioner thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1056

Yes, the sprockets are the same, but that's all. The 6-hole sprocketed tensioner has a different rubbing block, matches the XS2 lower stopper (rubbing/slipper block). Here's a side view of the XS1 and early XS1B tensioner system, the 4-bolt type "A", and related parts:

XS1-CamChain03.jpg XS-Tensioner-TypeA.jpg XS1-Tensioner-01.jpg

The type "A" lower stopper fits inside the chain path, and causes the chain to follow an S-shaped serpentine path.

We don't have a sideview of the XS2 tensioner system (yet), but here's its 6-bolt type "B" parts:

XS-Tensioner-TypeB.jpg XS2-Tensioner-03.jpg

The XS2 type "B" lower stopper fits outside the chain path, to arrest the outward 'flinging' of the chain as it exits the crank sprocket, and the 6-bolt tensioner causes the chain to flow inward, like the later models, following a C-shaped curved path.

With a brand-new camchain, you could probably get away with intermixing these parts, for awhile. But, they may experience accelerated wear...

You are prob right as a mid life young grasshopper I respect my betters. Do you think I will be al right running or not I found another 71 I'm going to go get sun.

The chater is gone now but if I'll pay for later I won't do it 71 stuff is hard to find in my neck of the woods

... 71 stuff is hard to find in my neck of the woods

Ditto! That's why I lean heavily toward careful/conservative when working on these things.

The 6-bolt XS2 tensioner system was installed on later '71s after s/n# S650-018608

Might want to check yours, you could be lucky and have the later lower stopper...

Sry to bother you again my s/n S650024210 ? So what do I have I've try the charts an had no luck that would b later correct

Wow! That's only about 300 below my daily rider XS1B's number.

[/QUOTE]

It has the later 6-bolt XS2 tensioner system.

So, it's quite likely that yours may still have the later XS2 lower stopper, which is the correct match for your new tensioner. Of course, the only way to know for sure is a teardown. I don't think that there's enuff viewing room to tell by looking into the tensioner cavity. It's pretty cramped in there.

Clips04.jpg

So mine is a xs1 an Im hoping that 71 motor I'm picking up Sunday. That the cam chain tensioner is good an I can just put the original one in it

Back