torque setting on front axle

Yamaha's axle torque specs are something I don't agree with. I might if someone could explain to me how to put exactly 76 ft/lbs of torque on a castle nut and expect it to align with the cotter pin hole in the axle. It ain't gonna happen except maybe once or twice every 50 years, lol. Yamaha should have speced the torque setting as a range, like 60 to 70, or 70 to 80 ft/lbs. At least then you'd have some chance of being in their spec and getting the cotter pin in too.

Copenter, these guys like to hand out fish, but you need to learn how to fish for yourself. You can find the specs in the XS650E factory service manual provided as a free download at www.biker.net . Yeah, that's a different year from yours, but it's the same wheels and axles. BTW you likely won't do any harm cranking the front axle nut down to 76 ftlbs., but that's heavier than Yamaha's number from the 78 manual by quite a bit (but mamayama was known to change her mind about such things, so scabber may just have been referencing another of her books). As 5twins says, those set numbers are pretty silly. Best practice is to treat the book torque as a minimum spec and tighten from that point as needed to line up the hole.

Another point--Yamaha's manuals often contained misprinted torque conversions. You can trust the metric numbers (Newton meters), so if in doubt do your own conversions to ftlbs. Note that these errors are often carried over in aftermarket manuals like Clymer and Haynes.

You also need to know the correct procedure for installing the axle clamp. Download and read; the information is critical.

Last edited:
Mamayama is a HE, scabber? I had no idea! Number switching, misconversions, and now gender switching--it's too much for an old man's addled brain to deal with. Gotta get off this thread and go think happy thoughts. Maybe a Valium will help.

Back