Tough to kick start when hot...vapor lock?

pyrocentric

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My 1978 starts on the first kick every time when it's cold, but once it's warm no amount of kicking works. Eight seconds turning over with the electric starter and it fires right up. Ignition is the basic pamco waste spark setup, fed with full battery power and no alternator/lights. Tank has the the locking flip top but it doesn't seal too well so I think the tank can breathe fine.

Any ideas?

I would suspect it's flooded, check for leaking float valves too high of fuel level or bad vacuum diaphrams. Pull the plugs after kicking it for a while and see if they're wet. Dry em with a torch and see if it starts.

I would suspect it's flooded, check for leaking float valves too high of fuel level or bad vacuum diaphrams. Pull the plugs after kicking it for a while and see if they're wet. Dry em with a torch and see if it starts.

Just make sure you're not standing too close to the gas tank when you do. :banghead:

Good point Bill I tend to chuck plugs in a vice and get em good and hot. But you are right gas tank + propane torch = poor if spectacular results.

Electrical contact cleaner will clean up a fouled plug in no time. Spray it on, it evaporates in like 20 or 30 seconds, and the plug is good to go again.

Back