Trip down memory lane

Fullcircle

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Spent some time with my dad yesterday going through some old boxes. Found pictures from out first big trip together in 1986.
20200223_082943.jpg
20200223_083003.jpg

Getting ready to leave. Went from Calgary AB. to Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon and back home.

20200223_083151.jpg

Taken from the trip to Alaska in 2000. I really miss the days we spent on the road. Great times.

And then we found this.
20200223_083304.jpg

The original owners manual. He thinks the tool kit may be around somewhere .

Fullcircle, Is that an '82 750 GPz? I've got one of those engines in a 76 KZ650B frame. I'm chomping at the bit to get her on the road.

Yes it's a 1982. Bought it in late 84 crashed and abused. Replaced forks and had it painted the original red but left the stripes off.

It was a pretty good machine but had a tendency to go into tank slapers between 160 and 180km/hr. If you made it through that speed, or had a passenger it was fine.

I've got a '82 GPz750. I had issues with stability about the 100 MPH mark until I upgraded tires and stiffened the front end. No issues since and a great bike although starting to show it's age at 30K miles on the clock.

Your dad sure did have it loaded up back on your trip. Real nice of you to restore. Good luck with the project it is well on your way to being a great bike again! JC

Thanks for all the kind words.

Tins have been painted and waiting to go on. I will probably put 3m on the tank where the seat always rubs.
The mufflers are the repops from XSdirect, unfortunately the left muffler does not fit properly. Now it is all the fiddly little stuff, cables, connecting electrical etc.
Looking forward to getting it running.

IIRC the repop headers are a bit of a fitment problem on early bikes, the LH factory header is snaky. Think I removed a like new LH repop header and replaced it with a "good" oem on WJL

LH exhaust..jpg

Last edited:
Howdy, all. New to this forum, but not to motorcycles or XS650s. I'm a retired senior citizen who's been on bikes since age 13, in the mid 1960s, and have had 50-some motorcycles of all makes and types, including a total of 5 Yamaha XS650s over the years. First was in early 1970s, while in the Army at Ft. Bliss, TX. Next was after the Army, early 80s, an old decompression-lever 650, which went to my oldest son, who neglected it and sold it. Next was a brand-new Heritage Special, stolen off my porch in about 1986. A couple years later I found a ratty XS owned by an alcoholic doctor who lost his license; that bike ended up lost in garage fire after I spent a lot of time to refurbish it. After that I was a little scared of the XS, thinking they (or I) was jinxed, and passed on a couple. Finally, after retiring, I found a low-mileage but customized and neglected XS, which became a winter project. I rebuilt the top end (not necessary, just as a formality), gutted and replaced the electrical system (PMA, etc), new steering head bearings, Tarozzi fork brace, new swingarm needle bearings, wheel bearings, clutch push-rod seal, rebuilt carbs and petcocks, paint, tires, brakes, etc., and got rid of the semi-ape handlebars and king/queen seat with built-in sissybar, and generally refurbished everything I could without changing the original character of the bike. It is one of several bikes in my garage now, but a real joy to ride around the local roads in southern New Mexico. Agile, tractable, enough torque and speed to keep up with traffic, but not a rocket or loud drag racer. Just right for an old man.
I tried to be subtle with the cosmetics, nothing flashy, with a stock seat, lower handlebars, old round taillight. It's not an attention-magnet, but those in the know can appreciate this 43-year-old relic for what it is.
I still do all my own wrenching on everything, and like the simplicity and robust engineering of the XS (retired engineer). And I love carburetors and points and kick starter and all the old-school features which mean I never have to worry about a bad ECU, or injectors, or low battery or other ailments which affect modern, high-tech marvels.
This XS is surprisingly thrifty, easily delivering 60+mpg in normal, mixed riding. I don't remember my old ones being quite so economical, but I probably thrashed them a bit more, when every stoplight was a dragrace countdown... The red picture is how I found it, and the green is its current guise. Almost always starts first kick, which I prefer to the electric starter (which works just fine).DSC00483.JPG s-l500.jpg

Back