Trip meter repair?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
The trip meter on my XS650B doesn't function properly. I have another speedometer that I believe is good, but the knob to reset the trip odometr is missing.

I tried gently tugging on the knob (hey! Hey!...keep your minds out of the gutter!) on the speedo in the bike, but it didn't want to budge and I didn't want TWO completely non-functioning meters.
Is there a way to add a knob to the one that's missing? How do I remove the knob from another speedo? Just pull harder?

scott,

The knob is screwed on to the shaft with a reverse thread. You have to open up the speedo and reach inside with a pair of needle nose pliers and grip the shaft while you unscrew the knob with the back wards thread.

Ah, that sucks. I'm tired of taking apart stuff I've already put together once (Or twice. Or three times).
I have a 75 that the knob slides on the shaft (ya got to line it up because there is a flat spot on the shaft)
And then is a small screw that holds the knob in I recall seeing a 74 with the same setup??

Yes, I think the early speedos there was a screw that held the knob. You will need a good light to see up in there. You may need to do some cleaning to see the screw.
I think this applies to the steel cased speedo's. The later plastic ones use the reverse thread.
Leo

Yes, I think the early speedos there was a screw that held the knob. You will need a good light to see up in there. You may need to do some cleaning to see the screw.
I think this applies to the steel cased speedo's. The later plastic ones use the reverse thread.
Leo
Does anyone have a good idea where to buy a trip meter knob (with the screw in it) or how to repair the meter end from splitting open The last one I bought the end split and after using it this way (didn't know) it rounded off the flat spot on the meter end
I have another coming but just want to figure out how to stop it from splitting again Little JB weld on the outside of new knob? where it splits Just asking to see if anyone might have solved this problem Thanks

Back