Trip odometer let go

Michaelo

650Mick
Reaction score
My trip odometer has let go, bouncing around happily. I've had a look through the search function for "speedometer" but cannot see if anyone has posted a thread or pictures of a similar repairs to the number cluster.
I've taken the glass out beforehand (a year ago) to reinstate the two screws on the face plate, loctite the screws in and re assembled.
I was looking for a picture to how the odometer cluster is attached to the internal guts.

Is it held in by screws?
Do you think it's sheared off from its mount?

The reason I ask is the odometer is fine, still counts, the needle on the speedometer is jumping all over the place and the trip odometer is described above.
I'll post a picture up soon and start the removal process......would be handy to know beforehand, but I suppose I'll find out..... :wink2:

Major Ton, These 2 screws hold the unit to the plastic cup
picture9.jpeg

Here done these off a 650C Speedo. Same up to 83/4
Right side......................................Left side, Trip thread
IMG_7263.JPGIMG_7264.JPG
IMG_7265.JPG IMG_7268.JPG
IMG_7266.JPG

Ah, How could i forget. Slap me with a feather. I have a 75 gauge i can do some pics of, the trip meter knob is different.

it look pretty much the same, this picture you posted is what i am after....it shows the go arounder and the mounting, it looks as though its let go from the mounting, the needle going everywhere bothers me though.....

I am just going to have a cup of tea then i'll get up it....this mornings project....

IMG_7268.JPG

74/75 Speedo mechanism. There is quite a bit of difference to the 74/75 housing around odometer and trip meter and the whole set up than the later 76 on.
Right side...................................left side
IMG_7269.JPGIMG_7270.JPG
IMG_7271.JPG IMG_7272.JPG IMG_7274.JPG IMG_7273.JPG IMG_7275.JPG

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of difference to the 74/75 housing around odometer and trip meter than the later 76 on.
IMG_7270 copy.jpg

in this picture (at the bottom of the page), is the pin that runs through the guts of the 4 dials a plastic pin? it appears to have let go on one side, if its plastic, might be hard to source another.....maybe a brass welding wire @ the suitable diameter ? i am just removing the glass now.....its painfully slow, but I've done it twice before......

speedo (1).jpg

85012-23753e7301b88c1ae11a5086f3424f9b.jpg

I see left and right as looking at the face, same as sitting on the bike. The plastic side is on the right and looking at your speedo the left side has dropped
IMG_7271.JPG

Found another difference between the US and Oceania 74/75 Speedo. US has the trip meter above the odometer and the Oceania has the trip meter below the odometer. My Pics are up the Shit

Oceania..................................... US
IMG_7276.JPG1h 75B.JPG

I bought these from the States
1a TXA Gauge-2.JPG

Does the trip reset unscrew lefthand thread? I read that from one of Fred's posts....it's not being friendly at all!

Your pictures are good...I can see the trip odometer has let inside too

speedo (3).jpg

Yikes - looks messy. Keeping a watch on this one just in case I ever run into this problem.

Pete

There must be a small plastic guide on the shaft that's gone, short term fix.....

make a cut and bend over mount...

I did clean the dial, lubricate the both go-arounders with sewing machine oil, surprisingly the needle doesn't wave around like it did before...so that's a bonus...

speedo (4).jpg

speedo (5).jpg

speedo (6).jpg

I'm back.................Sorry had a guest.
Baker-light/plastic was broken. There is a rubber stopper around the shaft with a groove the casing sits in. Look like the plastic/Baker-light has a screw holding it in place. See pics
IMG_7288 1.jpg
IMG_7282 1.jpg

IMG_7270 1.jpg

IMG_7274 1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Skull, there is definitely a bit missing, the shaft is running metal to metal and it looks like there was a bush or something in there to centralise the shaft on the trip odometer housing at the gear end.
You can see where i've made a cut and bent the steel over to keep the shaft in the housing, probably not the best option but the only one available to me....need a lathe to turn one up to suit...
The trip reset was a bastard to get back on, the shaft has a flat on it and there is a threaded section in the plastic "turner", it played havoc getting back on wanting to push the gear wheel out of the housing if that makes sense....i ended up leaving the dog of a thing off.
Thanks for the help to...

Mick

Found another difference between the US and Oceania 74/75 Speedo. US has the trip meter above the odometer and the Oceania has the trip meter below the odometer. My Pics are up the Shit

That's not an Australian 650 74/75 speedo in the photo.
(maybe a 73 TX750 ?)
The trip meter was below the odo, but 74 / 75 was km/h not MPH down here.

That is interesting. I wonder why the different trip meter/odometer layout.

That's not an Australian 650 74/75 speedo in the photo.
(maybe a 73 TX750 ?)
The trip meter was below the odo, but 74 / 75 was km/h not MPH down here.

Txxs, Skull noted his pictures were "up the shit" what we were trying to get was a idea as to what held the reset in and the mount of the trip dial...the pictures I posted from my 75B is an American import, hence the mph and configuration as you noted

That is interesting. I wonder why the different trip meter/odometer layout.

Maybe our jap engineer was trippin at the time Pete :lmao:

Back