Trippin' in Commando mode

Dear Mr Goetz,
The carburetters cost £131.25 each. Shipping costs £35.00. The total cost would be £297.50.
At todays exchange that's $375
Kind Regards
Phil Beresford
Customer Services Advisor
Burlen Limited - The SU, AMAL & ZENITH Carburetter Companies

Guy on the FB Norton group gave me a centerstand (needs love) shipping was about $30 will be here in a week total time.

Dear Mr Goetz,
The carburetters cost £131.25 each. Shipping costs £35.00. The total cost would be £297.50.
At todays exchange that's $375
Kind Regards
Phil Beresford
Customer Services Advisor
Burlen Limited - The SU, AMAL & ZENITH Carburetter Companies
Sounds like a deal. I'm leaning toward new carbs for my triple. Got a link?

With new carbs on the way thought I should drain and clean the gas tank. I've run three tanks of fuel through it so far. The gas can I ran the fuel hoses into looked clean, then I turned tank upside down to drain the dregs into a pan.
received_694797781357104.jpeg
:sick: :doh: :sick:
some parts were flammable
received_610095226300809.jpeg
I been working on the chain gang...
received_674819880034963.jpeg
Shake and bake
received_575468926440415.jpeg
glad I looked!
Petcock and carb entry screens had a done a pretty good job of holding it back...
Guess 300 miles in 4 years can do that to a tank.

Last edited:
With new carbs on the way thought I should drain and clean the gas tank. I've run three tanks of fuel through it so far. The gas can I ran the fuel hoses into looked clean, then I turned tank upside down to drain the dregs into a pan.
View attachment 170202
:sick: :doh: :sick:
some parts were flammable
View attachment 170203
I been working on the chain gang...
View attachment 170204
Shake and bake
View attachment 170205
glad I looked!
Petcock and carb entry screens had a done a pretty good job of holding it back...
Guess 300 miles in 4 years can do that to a tank.

Haha! Sheesh what a mess, do you think you’re gonna have to line it?

Still in the finding more problems, waiting on parts mode. Carbs haven't shown yet, a swing arm pivot cap disappeared while riding. Pivot greased not gear lubed as it should have been. Still chasing oil leaks. Have a donated from England center stand repaired upgraded and ready to go on, waiting for a return spring for it to show up.

Ah, that stupid thin rod optimistically holding two end plates ... What a fantastic design .... and providing a grease nipple for the oil needed to lube the pivot ...

I had a nurse friend give me a syringe with the biggest bore needle she could find, and I used that to lube the swinging arm. Unscrew the nipple and squirt the oil in (SAE 140 if I recall). I didn't know any vets, but the kind of bigger-bore needle used on animals would have been better.

Ah, that stupid thin rod optimistically holding two end plates ... What a fantastic design .... and providing a grease nipple for the oil needed to lube the pivot ...

I had a nurse friend give me a syringe with the biggest bore needle she could find, and I used that to lube the swinging arm. Unscrew the nipple and squirt the oil in (SAE 140 if I recall). I didn't know any vets, but the kind of bigger-bore needle used on animals would have been better.

Huh. Requires oil instead of grease? Would it make any difference?

The Amals have been on for a while got the gas tank cleaned out all hooked back up a few other details dealt with.
Added some fuel, turned on the taps.tickled the amals, and............
Yup first kick!
Sounded great, had to turn down the idle a bit, headed to town to put in some gas. About a mile from home my smile vanished. Felt like it dropped a cylinder. Went through the mental list. Guck still in tank plugged a filter, plugged a jet, not enough gas to make it to town? It was seriously and very consistently running on only one cylinder, turned around, backroaded home. Grabbed the IR thermometer, found one exhaust at room temp. Pulled that plug, it was wet with gas, OK no spark, looked under the tank, Oops plug wire had come off a coil. Happy face back on, went got gas and cruised for a 10-15 miles, all good. The mid RPM blubbering gone, running great. It's got a hanging idle, need to get out the gauges and do a carb synch yet.

norton 4th of July.jpg

Didn't want say anything in the RE thread but this says motorcycle to me.

Happy birthday USA!

Last edited:
Like Raymondo sez owning a Norton is kinda like marrying that hot cheerleader from high school. Ooh La La! but It's high maintenance. Fortunately I'm at a place in life where I think can deal with that. :love: The bike, NOT the cheerleader. :laugh:
Got the parts to do the front end, springs, seals bushings, brake rebuild MC bush down, new ears n bucket but that might have to wait for a bit. Couple other bikes looking for some lift time, it's endless...........

View attachment 171154

Didn't want say anything in the RE thread but this says motorcycle to me.

Happy birthday USA!

I agree, there are a few that speak to me the same way, including your Norton.
cm0616-243942_1@2x.jpg

Moto-Guzzi-V7-Sport-1.jpg

e23de95c4e411e6902410afee7a8a6ed.jpg

Yamaha-XS650-Right-Side-1.jpg

I'm sorry for the hijack. I just could not resist. The first three (four with your Norton) are the hot cheerleaders I'm unlikely to keep up with. The one directly above is more my speed and a real sweetheart.

Back