Tropical Cyclone downunder

Hi Mick: so glad to hear you're all OK. I'm sure there are folks all over the world waiting to hear and hold their breath.

Pete

This has been a real great distraction Pete, we had 263 kilometer blasts, and they went on forever, home stood up well. I look back and see I started this yesterday, not slept bugger all since then, plenty of others in our town would have done the same. Still blasting away now (wind) but a subdued 50 knots, which normally I would be worried about. After today, I know the house can be dropped down a well and remain in good shape, the hard part is the clean up.
The psychological burden of remaining strong in the face of adversity is now lifted, my wife and daughter are safe, the genset is churning away, I can rest easy and pick up tomorrow...have some little clips of the day there, I did try to post them but the file format wasn't liked....so I'll have a go from Photobucket later,
Cheers to everyone who participated, thumbs up from me

263 kilometers per hour gusts, insane no wonder iam shattered

IMG_0967.PNG

Well, have a bit of a rest and look after yourself. Everyone will be bushed and tempers will undoubtedly be frayed at this point so try to be gentle with each other.

Cheers,

Pete

Have one of those beers you saved till after ! and relax.... I bet you sleep really good !
glad to hear everyone in the house is safe it could have been easily otherwise !
Hug your wife and Kids and get some over due sleep !
Whew...... glad that things going away...... I wouldn't want it knocking on my door !!!!!
...Bob.......

Smart move chaining it dowm Mick !
do we get a Damage Report from ya ? how bad were you hit?
Bob.....

In full recovery mode now, still no power (mains) our little gennie (named China) is still going. It's had an oil change yesterday and it's the only time it's been switched off for 4 days. I've been "hot fueling" which takes some skill. Getting low on fuel now, sucking it from my wife's 4WD. Food running low but that's ok, water came back on yesterday.
Here are a couple of pictures
This is when the eye went over and everyone went out to collect up anything that could fly about before the next blast...it lasted forever, well over 4 hours, so 5 or so hours from SE, then 4 hours Northerly. When the Northerly came we were flooded under the large windows, watched them buckle under the immense power of the wind and horizontal rain was frightening, I had to go outside during this to a Little utility room under our home where my tools are, find some 2"x4" offcuts some 4" nails and hammer to sure up the bases of the window frame which were now moving on every blast.

My neighbor coming down to inspect the damage during the eye passing over..
IMG_0973.JPG

Our home..

IMG_0974.JPG

Wow Mick - I have only two remarks:
  1. you live in a beautiful place and you have a lovely home;
  2. nature is NO-JOKE where you live.
Stay safe my friend and look after yourself and your loved ones. Please keep us posted - we're all thinking about you.

Pete

Last edited:
Plus one on your beautiful home, looks like a tropical paradise.
With winds like you had, it's a wonder that extended patio roof didn't lift off.
Glad you're still here to tell the tale.
And very smart if you to think ahead with the generator.

The pine trees (R)are still intact...the was during the eye

IMG_0975.JPG

More pictures....the pool let go too, just added a few extra gallons to the street, tops of pines gone now..

IMG_0977.JPG

Have both down pipes broken, need to catch water as the is no mains water now....

IMG_0979.JPG

Necessity is the mother of invention, water supply for two days

IMG_0980.JPG

Casualties

IMG_0981.JPG

The ketch has a hole in it, quickly repaired

IMG_0982.JPG

Wow - the insurance companies will be going crazy.
yep and it gets worse , don't know if been on the news o/seas but the rain continued south flooding large parts of s/east qld and northern nsw with several disaster areas declared , been over 20,000 people evacurated over different areas , damm our insurance policys are going to go through the roof (as we all know the companys don't like paying out of profits ) luckily been only a couple of fatalites....... sign outside a south of Brisbane church .. those people praying for rain , please stop

Last edited:
Back