troubleshooting

Good afternoon, hope somebody can help me,not sure if this problem goes with this thread, my 81 650 special starts and runs while start button is pushed ,let go and it dies ,any suggestion! Thank you much!

Well I'd start by checking all my ground wires and jumpers, remove clean reinstall. also look carefully at the solenoid connections, wires. Check fuses and fuse box connections. Is the bike stock or modified? Are the handlebars chrome or painted?

Thanks guys, bike is stock,chrome handlebars,vacuum petcock ,getting ready to do a thorough wire and ground check,put knew regulator, and rotor, problem started after new rotor ,everything checks out fine on those parts,also have new brushes,tic is delivering pretty blue sparks to plugs, I hoping it something simple like a bad ground somewhere!

Everything seems to check out ok gonna go down the lines one more time and check for any shorts or any other abnormalities,can any body tell me if the TCI or the ignition coils can cause this problem, did the tests on my TCI transistor and getting connectivity or conductivity,not sure which one or if they mean the same, between B and E prongs with positive probe on E. The guy on the forum said that means it is bad,does that sound right? Ordered a used one for 75 off eBay should be here in a couple of days,hopefully that's it ,but if not at least I'll have a back up! Any suggestions, my 650 starts and growls just fine as long as start button is pushed let go and just shuts down,also read something that the rpms had to be high enough or the TCI would shut it down,does anybody know anything about this! Happy Holidays ,hope to be taking a New Years ride!

Wulfbyte how long will it run with the button pressed? 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 5 miles, 5 hours? Twice you have stated it will start and run till you release the button so I am assuming you have let it run longer than a few seconds.

Thanks for the reply,and yes long enough,lucklely I haven't ruined the starter.it will run forever as long as you keep button pushed, even revved to high rpm's to see if it would kick in. When problem started engine did take over a couple of times but now won't without the starter constantly turning it! Let go of starter button and engine cuts off,if you keep pushing it repeatly before engine dies it will keep the engine running, but just got finished plugging the TCI back in after doing the test on it and now no spark except for when I turn off and on the kill switch and key switch!

Well , unwrapped and rewrapped all wiring, surprised on how much pollen and moisture was on tape and wires, so guys, if you haven't done anything with your wiring in years I suggest you do this,it's time consuming but well worth it,the rubber sleeves on the wires also hold water. Put on a fuse block for blades too! Read all the tci threads and troubledshot down to the zener diode 1, had readings both ways on it, plugged the tci I got from eBay and starts right up ,runs a hell of a lot smoother than it has been,now I'll redo old tci so it can be a spare! Thanks for the info guys, ride on, gggggrrrrooooowwwwwlllllll!!!

thanks inxs ,have printed out your list and will keep it in the work shop for those times that the mental blank happens ,good cheat sheet

Back