Truing Spoked Wheels?

cheftay

Keepin' it real
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I started rebuilding my wheels a couple days ago and I think i've completed the front wheel but I wanted to make sure that i'm being precise enough.

My vertical highs are almost none... maybe 1/32 of an inch but it's even hard to tell.
My horizontal highs are pretty close to none as well, maybe 1/16 of an inch.

My wheel seems to spin pretty true but i've noticed that not all my spokes ring the same note when i tap them..

Do all the spokes need to ring a specific note, or does the fact that the ring(slightly different pitches) mean they're good to go?

Thanks guys!

cheftay

- the tone reflects the tension-harmonics-and should be relatively similar all the way around

You'll hear differences in pitch, that's normal; but you want to hear a clear "Ding," not a dull "Thunk." After relacing it's a good idea to check the spokes again somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles. Sounds like you've done a fine job, around half the 3 mm. max. runout spec. I lace my own wheels, but I don't true 'em; it takes practice or natural talent to stay good at it, and when it comes to that job I'm short on both.

- the 'ding' is correct, but if the difference in tone is too great the lower toned spokes will loosen themselves

Back