Trying to learn about a early Engine...

Nailbomb

Central New York XS650
Reaction score
I have a early engine SN S650-016161. By using the Vin charts I can figure it was either a early XS1B or XS1F engine. It has no provisions for a starter, and no decompression cover. All inspection covers are 3 hole.

but some of the other things about it are really odd. for example the heads from what I've known were numbered to match... this one has some funky numbers at best. The top cover is coded L71.:wtf:
NCM_0205.jpg

NCM_0208.jpg

is this normal?

pic of the intake port...
NCM_0197.jpg

The engine is seized, but the cam looks to be in very good condition.
NCM_0211.jpg

back of the engine showing matching cases...
NCM_0203.jpg

I'm going to try to get it to free up. Maybe build this one for a swap on the bike at a later date. I'm not running a starter anyway, and I do like the symmetry in the head. Just trying to learn a little more about it, Its the only 256 engine I've got.

I have a early engine SN S650-016161. By using the Vin charts I can figure it was either a early XS1B or XS1F engine. It has no provisions for a starter, and no decompression cover. All inspection covers are 3 hole.

but some of the other things about it are really odd. for example the heads from what I've known were numbered to match... this one has some funky numbers at best. The top cover is coded L71.:wtf..

Hey, Nailbomb. Looks like we're neighbors. My other XS1B is S/N S650-0159xx, just a couple hundred earlier. We've got the early XS1Bs, with the 4-hole type 'A' camchain tensioner. That funky L71 on the camcover may be 1-71, about the right dateframe. Why it's on the camcover, and why it doesn't have a matching number to the head, haven't a clue. Maybe a long ago swap-out, by a shop that didn't know about head/cover matching?

For more info, just click on the "Vulcan-mind-meld" button abov.... ....???... Oh, crap, that's not in this forum release yet.

These were potent runners. Most were likely abused and overreved (like mine). So, a complete teardown would be prudent, especially checking the condition of the 256 conrods. Finding parts for these is a bit of a challenge...

Twomany: Thank you very much for the info. I almost sent all this to you in a PM but figured it was better in the open so someone else could possibly find the info useful in the future.

If parts for the 256 engines are hard to come by maybe I could rob 447 internals from one of my other spares to make a hybrid? With the death of my original frame I'm down to one titled XS and 4 engines.

I agree a tear down would be needed before ever considering running this engine. THe fact that it is siezed right now doesn't breed faith, but I am glad to see that the inside of the head looks as well as it does.

I gotta say after comparing the intake ports they do seem to widen out around the bowl area more than the later XS engines I have.

Looked closer, yeah that's 'L 71'. Dunno.

Noticed the intake ports didja? Don't grind the floor. Mic the cam and see if it's in spec.

You can 447 the thing, but with a lot of conditionals. Gotta watch all the mix/matching of cylinders and camdrive parts. I suppose a matrix combo table would help here. I'll see if I can cook one up.

You can PMA me your number if you want to chat about it...

Back