Trying to remove seat to get to battery.

650_Maxim_Micah

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, obviously new to this whole deal. I bought the bike and the owner never got back to me with the manual so i'm in the dark on a few simple things. Like how do i take the seat off? lol

Well the 650 Maxim is a bit different bike than the XS650. Four cylinders for one thing. Anyway, on the side of the bike is lock that your switch key should fit. Turn it one way it opens the helmet hook, the other way releases the seat to open or releases the lever or levers that let you lift the seat off.
Are you sure the seat needs to open to get to the battery? My freinds 750 Maxim, the right side cover comes off and the battery is behind it.
Leo

Hi Micah,
Depending on the year it either releases from the left side or the right rear on the XS650. If you have a 650 Maxim it is a different animal but from the schematics looks to release on the right rear.

Being able to compare drawings (no matter what brand/model) is helpful and most vendors now offer a parts schematics searchable by make year model.
Since your are looking for Yamaha parts this is a good site.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/servicehome/home.aspx
On the first page click "view parts catalog", the second click "continue to parts catalog", then from the drop down menus select motorcycle, then the year, model then your part.
In this case use the frame and seat pics. On the frame you see an upside down U with pins on the outside(ala frankenstien neck bolts). The on the seat you see some claw hooks connected with a bar. Never looked at an XJ long or hard enough to care how the seat is removed but dollars to doughnuts the claws catch the pins on the U.
Hope this helps.
This site is pretty much XScessive XSclusive other sites may be more helpful if you have a Maxim. This may be one.
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Hey guys, thanks so much for the quick response! XSLeo you were right it comes out from the side. I thought the battery was larger from the angle i was looking at. I know the bike needs some general maintenance done to it. So I am sure you guys will see more of me lol. Thanks again for helping me thus far!

Micah check the web to see if there is a 650 Naxim Forum. Thjat would be the most helpful for you,even though our forum is loaded with knowledgeable motorcycle mechanics. Good luck with your project. P.S. they have a great engine.

Back