tubeless

Unless the rim has Tubeless embossed into the rim, it requires a tube.

If it has spokes it requires a tube.

That's the general rule.

Rules can be broken.

Some rims with spokes can be tubeless, but it would have to be a very special made rim and the maker would mark it Tubeless.

Not likely on your bike.

Some people run tubeless tires on mag rims not marked Tubeless. These rims can leak air because the aluminuum is not sealed and not designed for that use.

You only have two wheels, your decision on how safe you want to be while riding.

Different alloys cast differently. Some older castable aluminum was too porous to be air tight. If it does not say "tubeless" it's foolish to run it as such. They can seal up fine and sit for 3 days and not lose pressure, but go subject it to the heat and stress of operating and it starts to bleed off pressure. If you are not completely intimate with the handling and ride feel of the bike it can end up dangerously low in a short time. If you need to swerve or just roll into a favorite corner with gusto, it'll handle like shit and change your line for you right when you can least cope with it. If it's not tubeless it's likely not to have a safety bead either, and can result in dismounting the tire off the wheel. At that point, you will be in a world of shit that could have been avoided for the price of a tube. Be certain, or risk being road kill.
$0.02

Different alloys cast differently. Some older castable aluminum was too porous to be air tight. If it does not say "tubeless" it's foolish to run it as such. They can seal up fine and sit for 3 days and not lose pressure, but go subject it to the heat and stress of operating and it starts to bleed off pressure. If you are not completely intimate with the handling and ride feel of the bike it can end up dangerously low in a short time. If you need to swerve or just roll into a favorite corner with gusto, it'll handle like shit and change your line for you right when you can least cope with it. If it's not tubeless it's likely not to have a safety bead either, and can result in dismounting the tire off the wheel. At that point, you will be in a world of shit that could have been avoided for the price of a tube. Be certain, or risk being road kill.
$0.02

He's from Iowa no corners, no worries! We had a thread a while back. I did some looking, the biggest difference between the tube and tubeless I could find was the size of the valve stem hole.... Tubeless early mags (like on the XS) didn't have the safety bead AFAIC the safety bead starts showing up in the later 80's and is used on tube AND tubeless rims. It became a DOT requirement somewhere in there. Tube or not a blowout without a safety bead can be a very bad thing.

He's from Iowa no corners, no worries! We had a thread a while back. I did some looking, the biggest difference between the tube and tubeless I could find was the size of the valve stem hole.... Early mags (like on the XS) don't have the safety bead, tube OR tubeless. AFAIC the safety bead starts showing up in the later 80's and is now used on tube AND tubeless rims. It became a DOT requirement somewhere in there. Tube or not, a blowout without a safety bead can be a very bad thing.

For those who don't grok safety bead; it's an extra lip inside of where the edge of the tire sits. in the event of tire deflation it keeps the tire where it should be on the rim. Without it part of the tire will go into the drop center allowing the other side to come OFF the wheel instantly trapping itself between the wheel and swingarm or other stationary part, stopping the wheel, a hard crash is next.

file.jpg

As noted in the thread above a safety bead saved me from near certain maiming or death last year after I was stupid not checking my tires.

In the event of a blowout or sudden deflation easy does it, no braking or chopping the throttle or sharp steering inputs. Slowly ease off throttle, gradually slow down, and angle out of the travel lane.

I have an 80 special w mags and i dont think itis stamped tubeless and i run tubeless tires ill check but any coments r welcome.

Posted via Mobile

Yes i never looked on the spoke of the mag wheel, it def does say , suitable for tubeless tire.

I've had both front (1) and rear (3) flats on modern bikes, and the safety bead WORKS. I've got it out of the road in 2 of 4 incidents under control at highway speed when they went. The other two at city street pace, 35-45 mph.

Back