Tungsten disulfide lubricant anyone mess with it?

I'm thinkin' about adding it to the fork oil. Not sure how you'd quantify the results though....

Been using tungsten disulphide powder "lots of places" Have a small oil can with 20/50 and powder, using it on lathe and the mill restoration project, ways slides, also when lubing cables etc. brushed the powder on new fork seals it really seems to glom onto rubber.... dumped a bit into the forks also. Ran madness hard on county's worst road (so bad it has it's own facebook page!) right after, no weeping.
been really tempted to add some to my OLD lawnmower hydro oil.

Last edited:
Something that would keep you from having to oil the drive chain all the time would be good. I think modern oils in general mix with water, so probably just rinses off. Maybe waterproof blue grease thinned with gas.

Chain; yeah was thinking with a new chain, strip existing grease with solvent, use a grease mixed with tungsten disulphide and solvent.

Since gggGary's chewed thru his straps again, I was inspired to get some of the same Tungsten Disulphide WS2 powder.

WS2-Powder_2018.jpg

Put together some trivia on this stuff...

Attachments

• TungstenDisuphide-WS2-Powder-Info-01.jpg
    TungstenDisuphide-WS2-Powder-Info-01.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 217
  • TungstenDisuphide-WS2-Powder-Info-02.jpg
    TungstenDisuphide-WS2-Powder-Info-02.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 232
  • TungstenDisuphide-WS2-Powder-Info-03.jpg
    TungstenDisuphide-WS2-Powder-Info-03.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 215
I did pretty good in High School chemistry, but I don't understand most of the science behind this. :umm: What I'm taking away, though, is that it's probably not so good for the clutch. Parts during assembly/reassembly, probably very good. Degreasing/repacking bearings with the stuff, oh yeah. Imagine all the parts you could massage with these products, so they wouldn't wear out! Chains (cam and drive), that silly cam chain guide, valve train parts, valve stems, cam lobes, wrist pins, etc. Everything that moves, or rubs against something, with the exception of the clutch discs. Theoretically, it should make anything faster, since its power isn't being used to overcome its own resistance. And less friction = lower operating temperatures = more power! :rock: If Jay Leno uses the stuff, it must be good! (like everything on the internet must be true...)

For sure the clutch forbids using it in motorcycle motor oil!
A possibility is a bit huffed in the intake vacuum ports.
Note; that Jay Leno video is talking about boron, a different lube animal.
Now I wish I had documented! Was weed whipping yesterday, it has an angle gearbox at the string head. While changing string I noticed how hot the gear box was. Opened to check there was enough grease, then made a small paper funnel and added WS2. rechecked temp after another 1/2 hour of whipping, just with the "hand gauge" :cautious: felt it was running noticeably cooler.
Wait! I have a second whipper, will get out the laser thermometer and do an A-B test. Endless weeds to whip here..........

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for my dry-power WS2 to show up. Been researching application techniques. A Google search on "Tungsten Disulfide application" get some good hits, like:

https://www.lowerfriction.com/howto.php

https://mediablast.com/blog/2018/01/04/tungsten-disulfide-application-with-sandblasting/

Seems that there's 3 ways to go about this.

- Send stuff out for professional application.

- Use your own home-brew method. Blasting, buffing, rubbing.

- Just add it to the oil. It'll eventually self-apply.

I suppose, for our XS650 engines, could do some sort of "sacrificial clutch" procedure.

Replace your "good" clutch with a used one (steels and fibers). Add the WS2 to the oil and ride it around a bit. Later, dump the oil, replace the clutch. Also, abrade/clean any drag clips and their fitment grooves. Reassemble, add normal oil. Seek out BBQ...

Did a scientifical experymint today.
Old weed whip with an angle shaft gearbox, ring and pinion inside, a particularly high friction type of gear set. I have a point and shoot thermometer.

DSCN9826.JPG DSCN9824.JPG
Checked, it had some grease in it. Put the cap back on, ambient (sitting in sun) 101F Ran it for 10 minutes in heavy grass, temp 144F pulled cap added "some" couple grams maybe, WS2 with a paper funnel. Went out and wacked for 15 minutes, 131F Got the newer bigger whacker out that I WS2'd last week, ran it for a half hour of hard mowing 114F.
I got the 2 ounce WS2 package in the mail yesterday and tomorrow is pasture mowing, the tranny, ring gears really howl on the old H. Plan is to run it about 1/2 hour, check temp, dump an ounce or so in the gear box and see what happens, both noise and temps. Takes about 3 hours total to mow with the sickle bar. A good work out. Any prognostications?
mowing on H.jpg

On a more serious note...;).... I bet it makes a noticeable difference in that ol' International.

tomorrow is pasture mowing, the tranny, ring gears really howl on the old H. Plan is to run it about 1/2 hour, check temp, dump an ounce or so in the gear box and see what happens, both noise and temps. Takes about 3 hours total to mow with the sickle bar. A good work out. Any prognostications?
...probably wouldn't hurt to grease the sickle bar with the WS2. I'd imagine the clatter from it only adds to the "howl"...

Back