Tungsten disulfide lubricant anyone mess with it?

...probably wouldn't hurt to grease the sickle bar with the WS2. I'd imagine the clatter from it only adds to the "howl"...
Yes keeping a sicklebar lubed is tough/impossible. Been kinda thinking about a way to get the WS2 on it. It's usually oiled not greased cause you don't want to encourage dirt to hang in the sliding interface. Will be looking into a WS2 grease cartridge real soon.
PS the WS2 we are buying is not "graded nano". Need to do a bit more looking into the relative particle sizes of lube WS2 and the stuff used in doping semiconductors.

Well transmission gear howl didn't "go away" but I think it was reduced "quite a bit" Had to pull the sickle bar and rivet in a new blade. Cleaned well and applied oil/WS2 mix to all sliding surfaces.:bike:
Came out pretty good for an old city boy on machinery older than I am.

DSCN9827.JPG DSCN9829.JPG
The work time to equipment repair time ratio was the normal 1 to 1.5 :cautious: o_O

I'm still using it in many places applying it straight on new rubber seems to really improve sliding seal action, it turns the rubber silver.
fork seals, clutch push rod seal, throttle shaft seals any rubber shaft seal. Mixed with grease and oil the worm gear, perch pivots. etc. etc. I've add it to way oil use on lathe and mill. I felt it really helped cut "stiction".
It has some interesting properties for sure, kind of weird what it does to paint brush bristles.....

Great stuff, Gary, thanks for the tip on tungsten disulfide! I mixed up a suspension with 90% alcohol and shot it down my push-pull throttle cables with a syringe, then grabbed a bit of rag in a hemostat, soaked it in the suspension, and wiped down the throttle tube and handle bar. The tungsten disulfide didn't adhere to the chrome bar well at all, but really stuck to the nylon throttle tube. The angle of the cable perch on my 33 mm. flat slide pumpers is sharper than ideal, and hands-off throttle return was lazy at best before treatment. Now the throttle snaps shut from any position. Next time I have the carbs down I'm going to coat the throttle shaft, slide channels, and slides, and any oil seals I replace will get a dose. Eager to see what the stuff does on fork seals.

Is this like molybdenum disulfide, aka "moly"?
Similar but s'posed to be even better.
Be careful with it in powder form, it DOES have a strong affinity for lots of materials. There's unexplored science on nanoparticles and health.
I continue to use it and like how it bonds to seals. I tend to mix up a bit of grease with some powder and apply it to critical joints before assembly.
also noted; the apparent lack of "sticking to chrome ' but not much of a surprise there.

PS that tractor gear howl has greatly diminished. In fairness It was also very low on gear oil :redface: :yikes:
Madness with aluminum sprockets and an O ring chain has done very well with sprocket life. I continue to use WS2 during assembly and in many lubrication situations. It really does stick to rubber, I use it on throttle shaft seals, and in the throttle shaft bearing areas too. :thumbsup:

yet another application?
"Tungsten Disfulide's ability to withstand high temperatures makes it excellent for bolts, studs, and shafts that are used in engine exhaust systems of all types of vehicles."
Coat exhaust studs, nuts bolts. Better have lock washers!

Back