Turn signal relay and resistor question?

Its been a long time

Doesn't know nothing.
Reaction score
I have a load independent turn signal relay that as far as I can see just plugs into the three way socket for the original turn signal relay. Please see pictures below. I think the L terminal is in the correct position. But I think the + and - terminals are switched left to right, right to left. My thinking is that for incandescent bulbs it doesn't matter. But I don't know if it matters to the turn signal relay? My thinking is that I have a new unused turn signal relay here, I might as well replace the 47 year old original? Please refer pictures below.

Secondly, there's what appears to be a resistor mounted above the horn. What is the function of this? With the turn signal cancelling, reserve lighting and lamp monitoring nonsense all removed, do I still need this resistor? Wires are yellow and yellow/black. Something to do with the stop lamp monitoring system? I can remove it? Thanks.

1000001719.jpg

1000001720.jpg

1000001721.jpg

1000001722.jpg

1000001723.jpg

Secondly, there's what appears to be a resistor mounted above the horn. What is the function of this? With the turn signal cancelling, reserve lighting and lamp monitoring nonsense all removed, do I still need this resistor? Wires are yellow and yellow/black. Something to do with the stop lamp monitoring system? I can remove it? Thanks.
What year bike? '77?
If it is, the resistor is part of the reserve lighting stuff. Don't know about it's particulars, so I can't say if you can remove it or not.

1713032603934.png

What year bike? '77?
If it is, the resistor is part of the reserve lighting stuff. Don't know about it's particulars, so I can't say if you can remove it or not.

View attachment 323164
Thanks. Yes 1977. I've just been looking again. The resistor yellow wire goes to the high beam yellow wire in a two way terminal. The yellow/black goes to the main/dip switch. I will leave it be for now. With the reserve lighting unit removed, I'm not actually sure it does anything. I will know soon enough once it's running.

Edited to add extra thoughts - It's possible the resistor is there to give some resistive load on the reserve lighting unit when the lights are switched off. A 77 bike has the lights on/off switch on the right switch cluster. I don't know if the resistor disappeared on bikes with the lights permanently on. Anyway, a few weeks now and I'll know for certain if I can remove the resistor or not.

Last edited:
The reserve lighting system gives you reduced power on the hi beam whenever it senses an open in the low beam. I suspect the resistor is what actually reduces the current to the hi.... if that makes sense... :umm:

When I add a jumper wire to a plug, like for the RLU removal, I make the wire just long enough to run around the back of the plug. I run it in between some of the wires exiting the plug to hold it in place .....

RLUJumper.jpg

RLUJumper2.jpg

RLUJumper3.jpg

This effectively holds the jumper wire in place and keeps it from getting snagged on something and pulling out.

OK, just been looking at the turn signal relay again. Looks like brown wire goes to B+ on the CF14 relay I have. Brown/white goes to L which is same as now. And the E- terminal goes to ground. The wiring diagram shows a yellow/green on the third terminal of the Yamaha turn signal relay. But it goes to the cancelling unit that I removed yesterday. Not essential that I do this but while it's easily accessible and I have the unit, it kind of makes sense to fit new rather than have the 47 year old one in there buried under the fuel tank.

1000001722.jpg

Back