turn signal single wire replacement with non original two wire indicators

hogfest50

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi anyone had this dilemma i'm no electrician have swapped over stuff like for like .
done a bit of soldering , i want to replace my original 1980 xs650 turn signal indicators for newer custom two wire replacements .
I can see that the wiring connects to the loom but where does the second wire connect to .
I can also see there is another wire that comes back to earth on each turn signal inside either side the head lamp, and on each side of the frame by each rear turn signal.
am i destined to keep to the original or just single wire replacements ?

When you say two wire they have running and turn indicator elements? or is the second wire just the ground for the indicator?
I kinda doubt you are allowed to have REAR amber running lights (we can't in the USA) if so ignore the running light part in the back.
Conversely you can't have red running lights in front. I see a bunch of red/amber turn signals on fleabay now.

Last edited:
Hi hogfest, I recently installed these front/rear turn sigs from Dime City. Just hook your one wire to the power going to loom. If you don't have a 2nd existing ground wire from old signals, create a new wire and ground it. Then plug your new ground wire into the 2nd connector on new turn sigs and you should be good to go. On my bike, there was an existing power and ground wire for each of the rear turn sigs. Inside the headlight bucket I made new ground wires and used ring terminals to attach to the turn signal bolts that secure the sigs to the inside of bucket.

I still have ALOT ALOT of learning to do but I think this would solve your problem.

Last edited:
When you say two wire they have running and turn indicator elements? or is the second wire just the ground for the indicator?
I kinda doubt you are allowed to have REAR amber running lights (we can't in the USA) if so ignore the running light part in the back.
Conversely you can't have red running lights in front. I see a bunch of red/amber turn signals on fleabay now.
over here we have no running lights , but all of our indicator turn signals or at least around 1980 and earlier used to have one wire coming out of the turn sigs now two three or even more i'll give what you said a try as one is blue and the other green .

Hi hogfest, I recently installed these front/rear turn sigs from Dime City. Just hook your one wire to the power going to loom. If you don't have a 2nd existing ground wire from old signals, create a new wire and ground it. Then plug your new ground wire into the 2nd connector on new turn sigs and you should be good to go. On my bike, there was an existing power and ground wire for each of the rear turn sigs. Inside the headlight bucket I made new ground wires and used ring terminals to attach to the turn signal bolts that secure the sigs to the inside of bucket.

I still have ALOT ALOT of learning to do but I think this would solve your problem.
yes there is a second ground wire

Hogfest,
I'm planning on upgrading my turn signals to two-wire (marker lights, with the correct color lenses, ala gggGary), but I re-wrote the wiring schematic, since I'll be making my own harness. No drawing to attach, specifications subject to change without notice, and definitely one-off. I think I had mine so the markers would come on when you switch on the rest of the lights (left-hand switch: off-on-high). But, yeah, it's doable...

been out there this morning touching different wires ignition on and off turn sigs on and of found that the light blue wire on my bullets is the power or live wire and the light green is earth found a power source so yes jobs a goodun !.
got another problem now though unrelated to this thread , recently bought a set of low mileage clocks the speedo works fine but the tacho rev counter on start up comes up very slow and stay at say i rev to 2000 revs itll stay there ive undone the cable and sprayed wd40 up there but hasnt done anything its still slowly creeps up and virtually stays there any ideas ?

I kinda doubt you are allowed to have REAR amber running lights (we can't in the USA)
I run them(for a year now) and have had several conversations with LEO's. As long as the lights don't strobe or flash so they would be interpreted as an emergency vehicle none have a problem with it. Several have commented, "don't blame you, the extra light is probably a good idea".

When I rewired my bike to have the stalks run as running lights I replaced the white incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Amber in front, red in back. When the bike was off it looked totally stock with amber stalks all around. Turned on, the rears glowed a legal just-barely orangey red.

I've since replaced my rear lenses with red ones for a truer red that matches the tail light.

Last edited:
When I rewired my bike to have the stalks run as running lights I replaced the white incandescent bulbs with red LEDs. When the bike was off it looked totally stock with amber stalks all around. Turned on, the rears glowed a legal just-barely orangey red.

I've since replaced my rear lenses with red ones for a truer red that matches the tail light.

OK - and I have seen Daniel's bike and it looks great but the part I don't understand is how you've arranged to have one bulb (not a dual filament) with only one conductor/wire operate as a running light AND as a turn signal.

Pete

Pulling up an old thread -
I recently purchased a DOT 25-4115 turn signal for my 83’ XS. It has a red positive cable and a black ground.
I have a single wire signal currently with a ground with ring terminal attached inside my headlight to the bolt of the turn signal

Should I keep that ground on the bolt of the new signal and also find a grounding spot for one of the two wires of the new signal?

Back