twin discs on 75 hub???

AceofSpades

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I plan on lacing a 21 inch hoop to the stock single disc hub (36 spoke) from my 75 and installing it on my 81Heritage Special. .. I would like to add a second disc to the front since i am maintaining a rear drum and i most often ride this machine 2up... plus i would like to balance the visual aspect as well.
So, how do i add a second disc? The speedometer is not a necessity

Simply add a second disc. You will need the style of disc used on your '81, not the style used on the '75 (the offsets differ) and a second left-handed caliper (a "mirror" image of the stock right-handed one on your '81).

Will the disc off the 81s mag wheel work? And do i need to source a different master cylinder? I need to replace the master cylinder anyway the old one i cant get the cap screws loose... will break the top and tank

Yes the 81 rotor is correct for this app. Hand impact wrench on the MC cap screws.
you could probably maintain the stock MC but unless you are still flubbing around with the rototiller bars an MC without the angled reservoir would be nice.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

Getting familiar with this chart will help you decide the correct MC to use. The best braking upgrade I know of are the Vesrah pads 650central sells, those and stainless (teflon) line(s) is probably all you need.

Watch flea bay for a pair of XS1100 special rotors (and a few others, XJ1100 maybe) they are plug and play and slotted, and a bit lighter. Or the MikesX$ rotor$ are nice too. but watch the offset.

Not the XS1100 special rotors, they are the 10.5 inch rotors. You want the XS1100 standard rotors these are the 11.7 inch rotors.
With a bit of searching you can find a 5 mm thick set of slotted rotors. I have a set the seller claimed came off an XS1100. The XS1100 used 7 mm thick rotors.
Some of the XJ bikes used 10.5 inch rotors, my Friends XJ750 Maxim uses the 10.5 inch rotors.
Shop around Ebay. When you see a set that looks close ask the seller to measure them for diameter, thick ness and bolt circle.
Leo

Back