Two BOLTS

Yatez

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My xs 650 1977 has started leaking from one of 2 bolts on the front of the engine located behind the oil transfer pipe. I tried to tighten the bolts and the top one feels stripped. See attached picture. My question is what does the bolts do and how do I stop the leak?

Attachments

• IMG_20140511_173234_edit.jpg
    IMG_20140511_173234_edit.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20140511_173225.jpg
    IMG_20140511_173225.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 270
Front cam chain guide attachment bolts. The outer nut is a steel re-enforcement threaded into the aluminum barrel casting. The bolt passes through that steel sleeve and threads in to the aluminum body of the cam chain guide.
This thread has some background http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30636

Her's a side view, the two bolts you show in your pic above are on the left.

P3260005.jpg

How to stop the leak? Well I doubt the "true" answer will make you a happy guy. IS the guide OEM or from the that illustrious aftermarket supplier we all love to .....
I suppose you could try some band aid bolt snugger leak repair but if the guide isn't where it's supposed to be, is that a bomb I hear ticking?

This is not a recommendation but if you are brave and good with the possibility of causing major damage to your engine or more likely I'd guess an unexpected end to a ride some day.

First; tape up the oil port really good.
Remove the bolt. Use a new bolt of proper size and length. Measure the depth of the hole, if necessary cut a bolt to get the length very close to the hole depth. Go buy a bottoming tap, probably a few bux at the local auto supplier and worth having in the tool box. You can also grind the end off a regular tap to make a bottoming tap. Carefully run the tap into the hole, use a smidge of grease or wax to help any thread cutting go smoothly. Remove, use your new bolt and some blue thread lock.

this form might be good...

900-181_A.jpg

get a bit under the bolt head also.
Put in the new bolt and ever so gently snug it, knowing to stop at just the precise moment BEFORE the threads start to strip.

In a similar situation I have been known to cut a narrow strip of pop can, insert it in the hole, install the bolt nearly home, knife off any of the strip sticking out before the bolt head comes in contact with the cylinder, finish tightening. Hope that stops the leak and holds.

I suppose you could remove that steel insert, helicoil or thread sert the tensioner and put it back together. Controlling depth will be critical.

Back