Two cylinders, one heart… or carburetor

Halftwist

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to change over to a single carb set up on my bobber. The intake isn’t an issue I’ve got that built for the most part. I was wondering what carb works well for the job and what jets to use.
Set up is as follows:
2 1/2” intake pipe length .
3 1/4’ header pipes with light insert baffles.
usual operating altitude 3500ft above sea level.

What do the wise ones say?

Hello Halftwist.
I can't really help you out with any precise information. I do have a 2 into 1 for my project. It came with a vm36 carb. Reported to have ran fine and I was told it's ready for plug and play but I am sure it will need sorting out once I get to that stage.
It will be interesting to see what direction you go and how well it performs. Good luck

Since the cylinders pull charge alternately,a single will be set up VERY similar to jetting used on a two carb set up. VM34's can be had jetted close to what the Ole 6fitty motor needs.
This may be some worthwhile reading hint Teecat did a lot of writing about his single carb conversion trials and tribulations.

Last edited:
Since the cylinders pull charge alternately,a single will be set up VERY similar to jetting used on a two carb set up. VM34's can be had jetted close to what the Ole 6fitty motor needs.
I didn’t even consider that it’s still only one cylinder asking for fuel at a time so yea that makes sense. For some reason I thought I’d have to go big. Would you go with a vacuum carb?

It will lean out at midrange? Is there a way to tune around that or would you say it’s inevitable. What if I went to a 36. I’m sorry I grew up in the time of fuel injection and electric cars so I’m fairly carb illiterate.

I was just going to run a uni pod like I run on my bs 38s. How do run a vm not on vacuum? I see teecat mentioned it but I can’t find where he explains that

Back