Two duff regulators ?

madoc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1980 special. CDI. All standard.
Been charging fine, but lost all output coming home from pub (voltmeter fitted)

Ran the tests here.. Rotor has magnetism, output on the alternator wires.
Jumped the green wire and voltage was seen ... Ok. It's the regulator/rectifier.
After all this the regulator started working again ... Hmmm.. Dicey wiring or intermittent reg ??

Ordered one from electrosport. Same connector block, same colours. Right one for the later bikes.
no charging output. Nowt.
Put the old reg back on .. Charging......??

Sent electrosport unit back. Got replacement.
SAME PROBLEM :mad:

What have I missed ????
I ran their diagnosis but cannot test the reg as I don't have a diode tester ...

Could it be a case of alternator brushes at or near the wear limit giving intermittent charging?

Loose connector or battery connection?

Charge battery overnight with 2amp charge to be sure you are starting with a good battery.

Just some things to check.

The brushes are about 12mm.
The battery is new.

Given it's just one block connector for the regulator.
If I put my old regulator back on - then I see exactly the right level of charging, with lights on and lights off. If I put the Electrosport one on, immediately, then nada.
As I said, I have had two of these Electrosport ones now, both with the same negative result.

Before I conclude that the unit, they are advertising, for these year bikes (i.e. the later ones with CDI/TCI) doesn't do the job, then I wanted to check there couldn't be anything in my charging system that causes it.

how is the regulator grounded? IE check all your grounds. engine to frame jumpers etc.

Installation manual says;

Grounding the housing is unnecessary, the black wire in the block connector takes care of that.

But like Gary says, grounds are just as important as feeds, check both.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• electrosport-esr350-fitting-instructions.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 429
Back