Two Four Build

Okay...pull it out dust it off and get back into the project. Life and other toys got in the way but I am going to get this bike done this winter! I put in a 32" LED TV in the garage, bought a good heater and got things organized to tackle this project.

Pulled out some parts to make myself inspired and regain the vision I had for the bike:

full

Going to tackle getting the engine done and going to make sure I do it right.

Got the motor up on the bench to make a nice stand for it and decided just to tear it down instead! The stand will come during reassembly.

full

Had my little helper out with me to make sure I was taking care of things:

full

Left off with having to pull the rest of the charging system and split the cases:

full

Once they are split, crank and cam are headed to HUGH :thumbsup:

Well got some more time this past weekend to get into the shop. Baked up a nice little lunch:

full

Couple light taps with a rubber mallet and the cases split. Worked them apart, took out my crank and got everything boxed up to send to Hugh:

full

Went out monday, 4-10 days to Hugh, 3 weeks turn around with him and another 4-10 days return, should have it by end of Feb.

My plan is to complete disassemble the cases, studs and all and then chase all threads possible. Take it and soda blast, then decide on powder or paint for the motor.

Should I wait to chase threads for final assembly, ie after paint/powder?

Order some parts and get some other stuff mocked up etc... I am hoping for this to be on the road this year but we'll see what happens with the economy etc.

Thanks for the support all!

Interesting...what's your recommendation on cleaning the threads then? Everything I've read from Hugh is that he chases all threads and its a general engine building practice.

I will have to do some more reading I guess...thanks for the heads up.

Well, back in the day, thread chasing was done only on a need-to-do basis, like from damage or corrosion. If you want to do it, fine. But be aware of the potential of loss of thread engagement if the process removes metal. You could mic some bolts, and choose those that are undersize, use them to clear and confirm your threads.

I've examined some budget/import taps, and found burrs that would ruin normally good threads, another consideration.

Personally, I like clean/sharp Butterfield 2-flute taps for thread chasing, but that's old-school stuff.

We also didn't remove factory installed studs unless necessary, like to replace damaged studs, or to resurface a warped base. Some studs can be stubborn, and that introduces risk. Heating the cases would help here.

Yes, it sounds anal, until you read-up on the engineering specs for threads and torque holding values...

Heard from Hugh today...parts arrived, rods are shot....happy I dug this deep. Need to start ordering parts to get this in roller form and be able to hop on the motor build when my parts return. :D:D:D

Did a quick mock up to try different handlebars. Settled on the Friscos...they feel right for the bike and will be quite comfortable as well.

full

Working on final de-tabing and general frame clean up.

Ordered whitewalls, dyna coil and the bars last week!:D:D

Definitely working on the bike over the weekend...hope I can get it into a roller!

Not sure if anyone else is effected by this but $50 oil has killed my project funds!

May need to rename this to the Zombie Two-four build, a will-less and speechless brat held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated!

Time to dig in!

"Pet Semetary", maybe? They never come back the same....
Hey, Bezz, don't lose heart. Life happens, things get back-burnered, but you can resume construction whenever. Pick up your stuff, dust it off, and get busy ! It'll be time to ride before ya know it !

May need to rename this to the Zombie Two-four build, a will-less and speechless brat held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated!
Time to dig in!

Hi Bezz,
so long as you kept all the parts clean, dry and oiled and didn't lose any she'll be fine.
Don't think Zombie, think Lazarus, eh?
Best be about it soon though, another three years and even if you bought new tires back then they'll be time-expired
with no miles on them.

Thanks for the positive posts guys! The downturn in the oil business was a direct impact to this project. Having some more steady paychecks has sparked my desire to finish the build. I will be building the motor - 750 bigbore rephase - and trying to get the bike ready for spring riding here in the snowy north Canada.

Back