TX or XS

muks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

There is a bike on a Japanese auction site that lists serial number 447-724583 as a 1978 TX650.

By my understanding that serial number would correspond to a 1977 XS650D?

Which is correct? Thanks in advance.

That looks to be a very high US 77D Vin no.

Japanese models used the TX prefix on several models.
74 TX650A......................................76 TX650C....................................80 TX650
6501b.jpg Clipboard.jpgYamaha TX 4E3_2.JPG

No Japanese Vin no's that i have corrispond with the Vin you have posted...........

Can you post some pics so i might be able to help identify.

Last edited:
That looks to be a very high US 77D Vin no.

Japanese models used the TX prefix on several models.
74 TX650......................................76 TX650....................................80 TX650
View attachment 174944 View attachment 174942View attachment 174943

No Japanese Vin no's that i have corrispond with the Vin you have posted...........

Can you post some pics so i might be able to help identify.

Hi 650Skull, let me get some pics, its a bit of unusual one, someone's put a front wheel drum brake set up on it.

Bit of a contraption. seat looks like a 77, Frame Standard. Rims look to be aftermarket or swapped in.............

Can't help. ..............is there a pic of the gauges?? and from the top of the tank??

Defiantly a Japanese sticker on the tank and the Speedo gauge is typical Japanese. They also have a Speed warning light on the 74/75 and it looks like it is mounted between the Indicator lights top of the tower in this one............

Thinking about buying it?

As i said earlier the japs used the TX prefix. I have never seen a Japanese 77D and nun of the Vin charts i have show a 77 from Japan. That;s not to say they didn't, and with most Japanese XS's they usually had things on their models before the rest of the world got them.

78Specials got spoke wheels, others got them in 79. TCI ignition was on the 79 Specials, other countries got it in 80.

Looks like a standard tank. I think it's an XS but interesting how the paperwork says TX.

It is a Japanese domestic model TX650 released between March 1977 up until December 1979, model code 1T3 (so 1978 appears correct).
The seat, mufflers, tank and side cover colour and decals etc. are correct for this version of the Japanese TX650.
However the rims, mirror and front hub have been changed.
In general, apart from the XS1, the Japanese domestic 650 model designation does not correspond to the export 650 model designation.
Hope this info helps.

It is a Japanese domestic model TX650 released between March 1977 up until December 1979, model code 1T3 (so 1978 appears correct).
The seat, mufflers, tank and side cover colour and decals etc. are correct for this version of the Japanese TX650.
However the rims, mirror and front hub have been changed.
In general, apart from the XS1, the Japanese domestic 650 model designation does not correspond to the export 650 model designation.
Hope this info helps.

Great info, thanks for that. That makes more sense now. Appreciate the reply.

I'm looking forward to restoring this bike. I like the look of the drum brake up front but never actually ridden one with it. Are they any good? I know they're quite rare and I do have a spoke wheel with disc brakes that I can replace with.

Thanks for the replies guys. It'll get here in couple of months. I plan to take a month or two to go through it and get it reliable and road worthy and by the auction report it doesn't need much at all. A bit of a polish and spit shine and we should be ready for some summer riding! I don't plan to do much to it. Maybe find some original handle bars and put the original disc brake setup back on.

Back