1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Tx500, just bought it, not a xs650, value?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cafetools, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

XT500 Now those are sure popular and seem to be high in value. They sell fast.

gggGary, Mailman and MaxPete like this.
  2. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

8A368150-E18E-4996-A5C0-DF0A5854A18F.jpeg I must be a glutton for punishment. But I like all the early four stroke Yamaha’s.

lakeview, madmax-im, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  3. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty XS650 Guru Top Contributor

[​IMG]

That's a very cool bike! The cylinder head was prone to cracking. Since you're going into the engine, acquire a 1976 to 1979 cylinder head. I believe it's a direct swap. It has a 180 degree crank. I believe they lend themselves well to cafe touches.

4. Machine

Rasputin, those are real nice mufflers! What are they ?
    -R

Rasputin and Jim like this.
  5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Too bad most of the links in that wiki are broke. Could have made for some interesting reading. One link did work though. I threw it into the Road Test thread.
    Apparently, the demise of the 500 and 750 was the 650's salvation.

gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Another link from that wiki.
    Looks like 78 was the Crème de la crème of the 500's. With all the bugs sorted out, it was finally a solid bike. Unfortunately it was too little too late.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Mailman, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  7. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

The original silencers were long gone when I got the bike. I experimented with several types, eventually fitted these, they are Triumph T140.

Jim, Mailman, Machine and 1 other person like this.
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Lakeview has had really good luck with H-D Sportster mufflers which are very commonly available at swap meets as the Harley crowd like noise. The Sportster mufflers fit the XS650 well and sound good plus, H-D chrome is very durable and nice.

Jim, Mailman, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

There is no doubt that the TX500/750 were overly complicated and didn’t have a great reputation, but as an engineering tour de force, they showed what Yamaha could do. We can only wonder what impression the four cylinder two stroke road bike would have made.

txxs, Jim, Mailman and 1 other person like this.
  10. Machine

Yes, seen it :geek:
    But just look at those long shiny T140 mufflers. Almost original looking.
    :cool:

Jim, Mailman, Rasputin and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

It would have been a mistake to pass it up at that price.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  12. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

Also on a plus side as far as I’m concerned, they are quiet, noisy exhausts just drive me nuts these days.
    I’m wondering if the Tinnitus I have is from a misspent youth riding around with open meggas.

Machine, gggGary, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  13. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yamaha-RZ500-Right-Side.jpg

14. Machine

Ya, I like that sound the most !

gggGary, MaxPete and Jim like this.
  15. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Did I chap off the op?
    My bad.

Jim likes this.
  16. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I hope not - give him a moment, he might be at work.

P

gggGary, Team Junk and Jim like this.
  17. cafetools

cafetools XS650 Addict

Utah
    I think it's still a good bike. A cracking head? That seems a little far-fetched even if it's happened before. How often does it really happen?

Could that be why this engine is stuck, because of a cracked head?

MaxPete, Jim and gggGary like this.
  18. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

MaxPete, Jim and gggGary like this.
  19. MaxPete

I concur. As I recall it, the head cracking problem was related to the design of the head casting and any overheating or improper torquing could make it more likely.

The “seizing” is most likely just gummy crap sticking the rings to the cylinder walls. More often than not, it can be unstuck by pouring a bit of lubricant down the spark plug holes and letting it sit - and then putting a wrench on the crankshaft nut (usually on the alternator end) and gently working it back and forth.

NOTE: do not stomp on the kick start lever. That seldom breaks loose an engine but it can cause serious internal damage.

gggGary likes this.
  20. Machine

Maybe an "exploded view" of an TX500 engine posted would be beneficial.
    Cafetools, how many miles are on that. I cant quite make out the odometer reading ?
    And do you have the title?