TX650 clutch cover gasket and oil level.

rustyrescue

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clutch cover gasket on the bike is likely re-usable but I do notice it has extra gasket material and holes not doing anything, the new replacement gasket I have is also like this. Is this because they are pattern parts that also do a later engine?
The original gasket was so old and hard some of the bits that were not compressed and just flapping inside the casing have gone hard and snap off.
Regarding oil level, is the dipstick one that takes the level unsthreaded and then sat on top of the threads or should it take the level threaded in place?

... I do notice it has extra gasket material and holes not doing anything, the new replacement gasket I have is also like this. Is this because they are pattern parts that also do a later engine?

This rt cover gasket, 256-15451-10, fits all 70-83 XS650s.
256-15451-00-NOS-Yamaha-Crankcase-Cover_1.JPG

The extra wide parts of the gasket just makes it stiffer, helps to keep it conformal to the shape, otherwise it could simply flopsy-mopsy about during install.

NOS-OEM-Yamaha-TX650-XS1-XS2-Left-Crankcase.jpg

Some areas would be too thin, and span long distances between screw holes, risking the gasket oozing outta its position. Yeah, '70s tech...

Ah cool......understand now. The new gasket I have is correct. Nearly got all the old gasket off the cover now and do think it was original because the metal behind it is perfect, shiny with the light pattern of machining still on it.Fortunately it came off the engine case side fully except one tiny part so could be worked at on the bench with rags stuffed in the oil pump holes.

Yamaha used a bit of sealer on the engine side of that gasket at the crankcase seam front and rear. On reassembly SPARINGLY apply sealer to the cover.
RH cover leak

Last edited:
ok, I will likely try with no sealer but I use blue hylomar or a dark red similar product from a factor.....these seem not to "stick" on later removal and go on really thin.
A question, when I stripped it down I noticed some of the allen bolts had copper washers. I kept them on these bolts and have them all in a card for same place re-assembly but I can't find in the manual which are the correct bolts for the washers. I can put them back where they were but that is not to say a PO has placed them correctly:unsure:

Yes, they go on the 4 lowest bolts, the ones that sit under the oil level. You may find some on the 2 bolts holding the little round oil filter cover on, but they're not called for there. I've never had them there on mine and never had a leak. Not every year parts diagram clearly shows the copper washers or where they go. Older diagrams seem better. Here's one of the better ones I found and labeled .....

MqCsdcL.png

You can peruse the diagrams for all the models online from one of the many parts sellers. I like Partzilla .....

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle

A note on how much oil you put in. There were owner complaints on the early models of too much oil and/or oil mist coming out of the engine breather. One of the steps Yamaha took to try and alleviate the problem was to reduce the recommended amount of oil used in the crankcase. This lowered the oil level, I think by about 10mm. Your TX would have the older larger amount spec. If you have excess breather oil misting problems, you might want to try the oil reduction.

aW9xKs5.jpg

Thanks, you guys are an absolute mine of information......the TX650 I do not think was ever available new in the UK either although the later XS were.
I also found laying in my baking tray catching drips a washer/shim that must have fallen off as the cover pulled off.
It fits perfectly on the kick start shaft so assume it came off there though manual implies the TX650 has a thrust bearing not a shim?

Last edited:
No, there is often a shim washer on the kick starter shaft to take up any excess in-out play. It's located on the outer end against the cover and often clings to it when you remove it because of the oil film. There's no circlip or snap ring used to retain it. They often get lost because of this. They come off with the cover, clinging to it, then fall off without the owner realizing it.

They often get lost because of this. They come off with the cover, clinging to it, then fall off without the owner realizing it.
No, I realized it! I saw it go to the abyss. I hoped Mike's XS would have it, but it doesn't appear so. Fortunately, genuine Yammie is still available.

mine dropped into the oil pan where I laid the cover as it came off. I have not checked but it looks very similar in size to a number of old car King Pin shims which come in various thickness.

No, that's just another oddball p/n.

That small/thin washer behind the clutch, the first one that bears against the double-row bearing, is the same p/n as the (easily lost) shim washer on the kickstart shaft.

P/N 90201-256K6-00 is the latest revised number to the older:

P/N 90201-25290-00 (131-15653-00) - ID = 25.2mm, OD = 36mm, Thickness = 1mm

Mine is back together, thought it ready to test ride soon and see if gears are fixed but started it and the right carb is over flowing! never done it before.....so that needs pulling off. GRRRR.

Back